Insight In the Scriptures.....is there anything I can use in these volumes?

by insearchoftruth 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

When I got home today I noticed another stack of stuff on the kitchen table, more wt garbage, including the english version of Reasoning From the Scriptures as well as a copy of Insight in the Scriptures that sister gave my wife. My wife said she wanted to 'read the Bible', I asked a simple question why she needed all the other books to accomplish that...she said just to provide her some assistance.

She was also stating today how it really does not matter how people interpret the scriptures, because there is only one correct interpretation....I wanted to get sick.....

Is there anything in these books, since they are from 1988, that I can use to my benefit....for example does it talk about the annointed and the generation where I could ask her to look it up as compared to the new light....

Just wondering, may be reaching here, but anything would help!!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

When I left in early '93, those were still the top 2 reference books for me.

I was still using the 'Insight in the Scriptures' as recently as 5 years ago. Then I found JWD and really, really distrust ANYthing that is published by the WTS.

Seems to me that there will be something useful to you in the weeks and months to come - referencing 'new light', etc.

For the life of me, though, I can't think of a single thing at the moment.

Pity, too. I was very excited when those publications were released. I spend hours and hours pouring over them. Damn!

-Aude.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks Aude....another question, that is all I seem to do is ask questions. Since my wife has been pursuing her education and has done a pretty fair job of developing some critical thinking skills (but a long way to go) how do I appeal to her ability and gift of thinking to get her to look at information other than that published by the watchtower. It gets me ill to hear her talk about reading the 'bible', when she has to have a stack of other books next to her to accomplish...how did the men and women of old manage to understand the Bible without all these publications.

I thought there was some scripture about how one can understand the bible on its own...maybe I am very mistaken here?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    how do I appeal to her ability and gift of thinking to get her to look at information other than that published by the watchtower.

My first thought is to find the actual quotes that the society references in their publications. They quote people whose names have been changed - and thus unverifiable. There have been some threads that cited many direct mis-representations of the actual quotes. I believe the 'Creation' book has many of these.

how did the men and women of old manage to understand the Bible without all these publications.

They were 'truth-challenged'. Seriously. This is what I was taught.

I hope others come along and give you better advice. Mine is shaky on this topic. But your questions are great.

If I haven't done so already, welcome to JWD!! I think you have found a great place for your self as the posters on this board have both a wealth of knowledge and a sincere desire to assist others avoid the mind control that the WTS exerts.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself.)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I'm trying to use the search feature to find some old posts on 'intellectual dishonesty'.

The one search that seems to yield the most info right now is using the word 'dishonest' in the 'body only' for all posts by poster 'tetrapod.sapien'. In one of his posts he mentions that he set out to use the society's publications (especially the Creation Book) to strengthen his faith. Instead, it shattered it when he looked up the quotes.

From those referenced threads, I think you find other links.

It seems that AlanF did much research and writing on the subject and I would guess that Farkel did as well. These were two exceptionally prolific posters a few years ago. Farkel still posts from time to time but AlanF hasn't been on JWD for about 2 years, I think.

ithinkisee chronicled his own departure and then the steps he took to help his wife (freedomlover / freedomloverr) awaken. Here is a link to one of his posts: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/102851/1777326/post.ashx#1777326 where he mentions some publications that have misquotes. In fact, Ithinkisee's entire post history may give you some ideas to share with your wife.

For AlanF I used the word 'misquote' and found this link: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/97358/1671605/post.ashx#1671605

Also, another by AlanF where he mentions that he wrote to the society about the misquotes: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/8898/105359/post.ashx#105359 You may find each of those thread interesting from top to bottom (whereas my links are just to the one specific post).

You may want to google 'Alan Feuerbacher' for links to AlanF's documents. They may prove to be invaluable to you as they present very well thought out and clearly presented rational discussion of a number of JW topics. On one googled site, there are also dozens of links to other people's presentations as well.

Good Luck with you new project! I may have focused on just one area and truly hope others respond from a different angle for you.

-Aude.

• searcher
  • witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Well, I guess that I could mention (for whatever it's worth) that the Insight books are special order items that you can't just pick up at the KH, so don't toss them. (You can always sell them on eBay.)

AudeSapere:

I was still using the 'Insight in the Scriptures' as recently as 5 years ago. Then I found JWD and really, really distrust ANYthing that is published by the WTS.

I also really like (liked?) the Aid book, and still keep one on my shelf. I was very comforted when I read Crisis of Conscience and learned that Ray Franz had written much of the Aid book, and had done so using worldly (Babylon the Great) Bible commentaries as references.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

All those books are is information that has been copied from other more scholarly material and filtered with a Watchtower message. Get her a generic readers digest bible encyclopedia and toss those things in the trash.

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl
    Is there anything in these books, since they are from 1988, that I can use to my benefit....for example does it talk about the annointed and the generation where I could ask her to look it up as compared to the new light....

I just looked for you and the "Generation" article in the Insight books does, in fact, contain old light.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks witnessgirl, should be some assistance......am trying to drop seeds every once in a while and now I will be able to ask her about the generation when she has these out and hopefully at least shall be one instance of a very current change of thinking/doctrine that has been made!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit