Satan is certainly a wiley devil! He came in the guise of Square Dancing!

by Lady Zombie 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Recently a few threads have remarked upon how restrictive the JWs have become in the last decade or so in terms of activities and the amount of freedom alloted to individuals.

Well, I can ballpark estimate when it started in my area. It was the mid to late 80's. Throughout most of the 80's, my congregation frequently had potlucks and days at the park when all the local congregations would gather for fellowship.

There was a lot of laughs, lots of grilling, and easy interactions with other JWs. Sometimes someone would bring music, like Jazz or Big Band. Us younger folks would have prefered some more modern music, but we all knew how the bOrg felt about rock.

Anyway, my folks and a few other JWs, discovered Square Dancing. They had a ball. It was "wholesome" and fun and great exercise. Most of the JWs were stoked because not only were they having fun, they were dropping a few pounds. As more of the local JWs learned how to Square Dance and Line Dance, they got the bright idea to have "Witness Square Dances" about twice a month. Here they taught other JWs how to Square Dance and they usually had potluck dinners along with it.

Most of us younger people thought Square Dancing was kind of boring, but our parents liked it. Generally the younger, single, JWs didn't participate in it because 1) we weren't married, and 2) most of the JWs thought it was somewhat inappropriate to dance closely with someone who wasn't your wife/husband.

And then.......[ominous music].........a rigid, staunch, humorless, judgemental prick of an elder decided that all this Square Dancing and fun was Satanic in nature because it encouraged "immorality." Yes, you read that correctly. IMMORALITY!

He began lecturing the Square Dancing JWs that it was inappropriate for a man and woman who were not married to "hold hands" and "touch one another." Let me explain.

In Square Dancing, frequently you may change partners briefly as part of a move. Or, you go around in a circle weaving in and out and grasping one of the opposite sex's hands until you make your way back to your partner. Or, the men would cross the square to spin the woman directly across from them.

This elder singlehandedly brought an end to not only "Square Dance Nights" but also Square Dancing in general. He even had a Local Needs talk on the subject. Actually, he had more than one Local Needs talks based on activities that may lead to immorality, like "dancing." This guy was a Grade A prick!

Soon after the Square Dance ban, the potlucks at the parks stopped too. Nothing was much fun anymore and everyone was worried about "stumbling" others.

By the early 90's, all JW get-together's had effectively stopped. The only time the JWs would associate outside of the KH and FS, was at restaraunts after the meetings.

It has been this way ever since.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

That sounds sooo much like a KH I went to in NM in the mid 70's. Square dancing was stopped. That and bible character masquerade dress up type parties. Actually we had a lot of fun until the powers that be put the axe on it all.

• sir82
    sir82

We had square dances when I was growing up in the 70's. Not as regularly as twice a month, but pretty often.

I don't recall any strong words being spoken against them, but sometime in the 80's they just fizzled out. Along with the softball games, costume parties, etc.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    an elder decided that all this Square Dancing and fun was Satanic in nature because it encouraged "immorality."

Lady Z, was this some kind of topless square dancing going on? Did they have satanic fiddles?

And remember "The Twist" is also forbidden, clearly based on a pagan African fertility dance.

Please... get these people some exercise!

B the X

• blondie
    blondie

We didi line dancing....no touching. Line dancing was popular a wedding receptions.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Billy,

I remember dancing the twist in Ecuador until some self-righteous elder's wife pulled out a 1960's era WT that said it was demonic....

We stopped.... and she wasn't invited to the next party....lol

• lancelink
    lancelink

In the 50-60 era while i was growing up in the boonies, this type of dancing was decent, enjoyable, and fun
    (for the adults).
    Never was it suggested that this was immoral, it was fun ! And i never heard of anyone committing fornication
    while this was popular. Usually during and after the county fair this was the thing to do.

And now because some elder thinks it is bad, everyone quits ???

perhaps if some of the people he influences were to ignore him, things might change.

Have him do a little research on music, and dancing/social customs of the 50's.

• oompa
    oompa

hahaha....lmao.......just tooo funny....nice subject line....lamo.........oh and barf...oompa

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    a rigid, staunch, humorless, judgemental prick of an elder decided that all this Square Dancing and fun was Satanic in nature

Lady Z, After doing a bit of research on the ol' WTLib CD, I found the error that the elder made... Square dancing isn't Satanic.

PENTAGRAM DANCING IS SATANIC !!!!

*** g94 9/22 pp. 7-8 Satanism’s Handmaidens—Drugs and Heavy-Metal Music ***

...and a pentagram (a five-pointed star in a circle—a Satanic symbol) was etched on the ground ...

B the X
  • loosie
    loosie

My hubby and I would go line dancing when we were dating. All the JW's would go after meetin gon sunday to denim and diamonds in huntington beach Ca. I didn't hear any local needs talk about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit