EX-JW Project Announcement

by Mindchild 30 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

For whats involved costwise why not rent Branson's Necker Island?

ISP

• rekless
    rekless

Will we set up a government so we can apply for loans and grants from the USA?

Do we even want a government?

Will we have street parties?

Where shall we get our food, shall it be an island that has tropical fruits and so forth ?

many things to consider

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Due to the fact that I’m moving next week to a new home, I wanted to put together an expedient and simple version of our general working project outline.

Probably the most important thing I can tell you right at the start is that in consideration of how we all got screwed over by false promises in the past of having a slice of paradise, we are very focused towards making our project a reality and this is not a mind game. Thus, we are only looking for people who after investigating thoroughly and critically what we are doing, give 100% of themselves to committing and following through with their promises. We therefore welcome any tough questions or suggestions you might have and we are not too proud to think we are infallible.

If you like what you read and you have a desire to be part of our project, you also will need to ask yourself if you are the right type of person for living in this type of environment. After all, one man’s version of paradise can be someone else’s version of hell on earth. This way of life won’t work for many people. If you are a person who needs a lot of excitement and action in your life, who wants a lot of culture, needs to travel the world, has unbreakable emotional attachments to family and friends who want to stay where they are, this isn’t going to work for you. You also might consider that if you are a lazy person and expects a “break” to come your way where someone is going to build you a nice home and you never have to work again… you need to stay home and keep playing the lottery…it just won’t work here.

I’ve arranged the rest of the information in a question and answer format:
    Where is the island? How big is it? How much does it cost?

Our objective at the moment is to purchase an island in the group of islands known as the Pearl Islands in the Pacific Ocean that are located about 70 miles off the coast of Panama. This string of 90 different islands often has several private islands for sale. You can check this website to see a few of the current offerings:

. http://www.vladi-private-islands.de/sales_islands/sites/06_gallo.html
    . http://www.vladi-private-islands.de/sales_islands/sites/06_cocos.html

There are also other islands available in different parts of the world that are larger in case we decide we want more room. An example of an island currently for sale is Pilotin Island in the Pacific at a price of $660,000 USD for 335 acres (136 hectares)

. http://www.pacislands.com/vanuatu/pilotin/pilotin.htm

How do I know this is some kind of scam to get my money?

Scams operate on two general rules of thumb, if something is too good to be true, it might be a scam and they appeal to human greed and the desire to make a fast buck. They are also generally time dependent (rush, rush, you only have a short while left) and target people who have large amounts of cash. None of these factors is involved here. We are taking a slow and careful approach to our goals, which may take a year or more. There is no free lunch, everyone carries their own weight and contributes their fair share, and most of us are going to have to work to earn our money. Besides this, everything will be done in a proper legal procedure with necessary checks and balances. This is a cooperative venture of people working together for a common goal, not handing money over to someone else and asking him or her to do something for them.
    How do I get enough money to cover my share of the costs?

First, we are acutely aware that most ex-dubs are not wealthy and many barely manage to make ends meet economically. As this is a given, we recognize the need to create a way for everyone to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. There is not going to be any charity involved but everyone who is accepted as a potential island resident will get a fair opportunity to turn their sweat equity into their slice of island living. Some information about the group projects that will use to do this will be discussed later
    What am I going to do to make a living on the island?

We currently have developed plans for three promising commercial business ventures that are not location dependent. These businesses will be started and operated prior to relocation to both become profitable and work out any problems. The business ventures we have planned at this point should provide a comfortable and reliable income level for about 12 –20 adults.

In addition to these group owned corporations, there is opportunity for people to bring their own business or occupation along with them. We will have excellent broadband Internet service on the island that will be able to support IT related occupations. You could do well here writing for a living, have an artistic type of vocation or just retire if that is your goal. Further, there is opportunity to provide your personal services on the island, or a bed and breakfast, etc.
    What is there to do on this island? Is it safe?

Most of the activities available at any island resort should be likewise possible here. You should remember that people are making their lives here and this is not just an extended vacation with time to kill. You will find that regardless of all the first world conveniences and technology, that your time is used fully by your activities, they be playing on the Internet, socializing with friends, or engaged in work, there will be little reason to be discontent. The islands in Panama are very safe. There are no hurricanes in this area.
    What types of people are going to be there? How many people are going to be there?

There are no restrictions on your age, sex, marital status or sexual preferences. The total number of people has yet to be determined for those living there, and the number of visitors we want to have is also unknown at this time. The practical limits will be set by a combination of the size and ecology of the island along with the lifestyle demands of the residents.
    When is this going to happen?

We hope to launch our project in earnest at the beginning of 2002.
    What are the benefits of living on this island compared to living in the USA?

1. For American expats: the first $80,000 of their income is tax-free. For most other home countries, there no taxes.
    2. The costs of living are much lower than the USA
    3. The climate is near perfect and the environment pristine.
    4. The island is an economic and social cooperative that supports all members as a large family
    5. There are a lot of fun and great people to associate with
    6. You can travel where you want.
    7. There are no weird rules and regulations and the focus is on personal freedom and responsibility for your own actions.
    8. You have most of the benefits of living in the USA without the downside
    9. You can use this as a base to pursue your larger dreams, you can go to college here (online schooling) learn new careers, and come to peace with yourself.
    10. No Jehovah’s Witnesses in their right minds will ever knock on your door.

I recognize there are many questions I didn't answer here but again this is just a preview of a more comprehensive outline that we hope to develop later.

Skipper

• Celtic
    Celtic

Skeptical springs to mind first to be honest, but where there's a dream, there's a way.

Would need much further face to face discussion, but willing to offer my professional services to the participants wishing to join in enabling this collectively to come together.

I would be willing to be involved with the environmental assessments and human ecology balance of the island, plus assisting in solar installations plus recycling energy usage upon site.

Presently, I am saving for India together with a business partner where the intention is being suggested to build an Earthship artist regeneration community. We might be interested in partnering our resources and minds together in further completion, resurgence of these worthwhile visions.

Keep it up Mindchild. In flexibility and resurgence, count me in for now.

Wild and wacky - Love it!!

peace

celtic

• Prisca
    Prisca

I've been told that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Human nature always takes it's course. Things are the way they are in society for a reason. It would be 'lord of the flies' all over again, or eventually the WT society in another form.

Most nations, organizations and societies are founded on the ideal but eventually they end up in reality. It is probably best to work within the reality that exists instead of trying to create a new one.

Maybe think about creating an apostate resort or something. Most of us hate the cold and we're going to be freezing our asses off soon and looking for somewhere warm to go.

Path

• mommy
    mommy

Thanks Skipper
    One other thing I would like to point out about most of these islands is that poisonous animals, and insects are a rarity Also as already stated, hurricanes do not enter that part of the world. Most of the islands house over 100 species of exotic birds and plants. Orchids are everywhere Of course I am looking at the beauty side of it all, can you imagine the sunrise, sunset every morning? Also the smaller islands are very close to the larger islands which contain hospitals, shopping, and a nightlife, so the variety is there.

Path,
    I think to say that it will be Lord of the Flies all over again gives me the creeps...hehe Because I plan on bringing my children there! An apostate retreat was one of the business ventures Skipper has thought of. But we need to know how much of an interest there really is in this project, if you build it they will come, is not a practical outlook.

So I urge everyone who has any interest in this to please contact Skipper. As he said this is not a free ride, or a money pit. We will all be expected to put our hard work into this, and if you commit, you will be expected to follow through.

Celtic,
    I think that is a great idea to use solar energy! The idea of moving to an island would be defeated if it was too commercialized, or over run with garbage in a year. I think that it is possible to maintain the paradise feelings, but we must all be educated on how to do so. Personally I know I would. I have gotten used to the easy life here Your input would be wonderful!
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Path...were are you getting all these weird ideas? Watching too many old late night horror shows? Hahaha Lord of the Flies indeed. Just to reassure you, we are not starting a new social experiment with some weird agenda. There are no leaders, Kings, priests, GB wannabe's, or people who are clearly mentally disturbed. We are just a group of people who want to maximize their freedom and their quality of life in a sane and rational way.

There is no church to join, no philosophical or ideological meme's to give obedience to. Everyone doesn't need to be a nudist (sorry to dissappoint you guys) and we will use a standard corporate structure, with the owners being the shareholders to direct things. Sorry, this is boring in terms of starting a new country or kingdom. Not going to happen. You just need to watch more Gilligan's Island than the horror flicks.

Path, we did explore the resort concept the first thing out of the box. There are a few problems with making a resort the primary business model. For instance, there is a world wide drop in tourism because of fears of flying; there are a number of resorts already established in the area; and the dynamics of running a resort make big compromises in your lifestyle and community dynamics. We do hope to have lots of visitors, and some individuals might wish to do something along the lines of personal bed and breakfasts where they have paying customers but this is more along the lines of a supplemental business venture than means to primary captial generation.

Prisca, your statement is typically thought to apply in a sense that an opportunity drops in someone's lap that requires little or no intrinsic effort to realize. If someone handed me a check for $1,000,000 and I didn't do anything to justify that compensation...it would certainly be to good to be true. On the other hand, if I worked hard for ten years to get that money, I call it a exchange of value. What we hope to do in our project is exchange hard work and effort for living in a nice community of good friends.

Skipper

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Mindchild, I write alot of garbage, but late night made-4-tv movies don't help either.. LOL

Thank god for this not being a social experiment. I'm still trying to grasp what the whole concept is though. I'll keep an eye on the thread and maybe I might clue in at some point where it all makes sense to me.. LOL

Like I said, it's gonna start getting cold and I just want to go somewhere warm.

Path

• openminded
    openminded

okay-count me in!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit