Faking it or Making it..SCREWED by the Watchtower Society in 75'

by Terry 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mandette
    Mandette

OH WOW! I was 7 yrs old in 1975 so I have no direct memory of it. I was probably too busy with my Barbie dolls to notice(can I be counseled for that?). BUT, a few years ago I made the bad, bad mistake of asking my mom about 1975. My normally very sweet, mild mannered mom became very angry. Needless to say, I didn't get any answers. I learned a lesson that day!

And with the scripture that goes something to the effect of "not even the Son knows the date or time" why would anyone be all fired up about figuring out when exactly the "end" will come?

• steve2
    steve2

And 1975 wasn't even the half of it! The Millerite movement that provided the roots for a number of end-times religions - including the Watchtower Society - made daunting pronouncements about 1844 heralding Christ's return to earth. And before that movement spouted its proud prophecy, other groups proudly set dates and climbed hills expecting to be taken by "The Lord". And came back down to face life without the prospect of divine release from personal responsibility.

The desire to be saved from a cold, hard world is stronger than the desire to use one's brain. The human memory that it's all happened before and will happen again is a despondent but realistic one.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

SEX!

OK, OK, I like it.

Terry you and Sigmund Freud would get along great. perhaps in the new system or new order, or new world or whatever the bORG is calling it lately you'll meet. Don't get me wrong Terry I like to relate everything to sex too. UMM let's see

1. (Genesis 24:63) . . .When he raised his eyes and looked, why, there camels were coming!

2. (Genesis 30:30) . . .that it was little that you actually had before my coming. . .

3. (Genesis 33:1) . . .In time Jacob raised his eyes and looked, and here EĀ“sau was coming and with him four hundred men. . .

4. (Exodus 35:22) . . .And they kept coming, the men along with the women, every willing-hearted one.. . .

5. (2 Samuel 18:25) . . .And he kept coming, steadily . . .

I think U m know what I mean.

I love your stuff Terry

LD

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

i came in in 1990 and was told that jehovah did a sifting work in 1975

• steve2
    steve2
    i came in in 1990 and was told that jehovah did a sifting work in 1975

Yes, I heard this line several times in the late 1970s. The robots in the kingdom hall went into overdrive with this drearily predictable excuse. At the time, I thought, "What sort of Creator would purposely allow his 'faithful and discreet slave class' to build up so much urgency over several years, leading to witnesses quitting jobs and pioneering fulltime, just to see how many remain when they realise it was all a result of self-appointed prophets' proudly overactive imaginations? Then I realised: It certainly was a sifting work: Sorting out those who had brains to see what a complete prophetic failure the 1975 fiasco was from those who were too gullible or complacent to think things through for themselves. Give me brains over gullibility any day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit