Hi! I'm new here!

by gloobster 24 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Welcome, friend. Hope you'll stick around.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Hi gloobster and welcome! I am older than you but there are a lot of things about your story that are similar to mine and I can relate to. My mother also just died May 14 and it has stirred up a lot of old feelings that drove me to finding this website. I have been on it about 2 weeks and I have found that I can even discuss some of these things with my husband now and I have never been able to before without bursting into tears. This website has been a TREMENDOUS therapy for me!

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Welcome to the board, and very sorry for your loss of your Mom.

I can also empathize with the religious limbo and being too young to understand or even go against indoctrination; it's next to impossible as a child. I had similar experience being raised in a divided household. I wasn't allowed to participate in holidays at school, but celebrated holidays with some extended family, and I never had any close jw friends as a child. I couldn't explain why we didn't celebrate holidays at such a young age and for some reason thought Satan had made the Christmas lights that everyone decorated their houses with (as I remember being taught that the devil can make himself appear to be an angel of light, or something like that) ...very confusing for a young child.

Anyhoo, hope to see a lot more posts from you, you are in good company here!

Wow! So many newbies in the past few weeks!!

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Hey G, thanks for that. Yes, it did help answer my question. You being so close to your grandparents would have made a difference for sure. I think I also was influenced heaps by my witness grandparents as well. Like you say, kids believe what they're told by the people they respect the most. Good point, this is useful for me at the moment - so thanks.

By the way, the book is "My Book of Bible Stories". Some of those stories are pretty gruesome. Amazing how a story and accompanying picture of a woman nailing a guys' head to the ground can be seen as fit for young children. Bloody hell.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome! And I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom.

Your "religious limbo" sounds kinda awful... still so impressioned as a child to believe it was the (T)ruth... but didn't get to associate with others who couldn't celebrate holidays either! Agh! How frustrating.

I have said this before... a far, far sadder thing than an active Witness is an inactive one who still believes it is the (T)ruth and that they will be destroyed at Armegeddon. What a way to live! Unfortunately, the world seems to be full of these sad souls. I have great hope that they have an awakening.

Love,
    Baba.

• ibme
    ibme

Welcome

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hello and welcome to the board.

Paul

• JK666
    JK666

gloob,

Welcome to JWD!

JK

• White Dove
    White Dove

Welcome! If you switch maternal for paternal, you would have my story except that my mom was strict and into it. My dad had quit while I was a child but started back up recently.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome gloobster !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit