Can you think of a positive thing the JW's gave you?

by Greensleeves 20 Replies latest jw friends

• *summer*
    *summer*

No, this thread was not a bad idea at all.

You must only keep in mind that some on this forum have been very damaged and are still dealing with their anger and frustration...in their own way...at their own pace.

You have been very fortunate. And I certainly admire your balanced perspective.

I was never a JW and escaped baptism by a fine thread. Just like you, I also have a solid and loving environment. I will always be polite and respectful of all JWs who will show up at my door in the future {and they show up often in my area} They are only "misguided" regular people. I will not even try to make them understand my perspective. We all have our own path to travel. And I wish you the very best on yours:-)

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

they helped me quit smoking weed

they helped me stop obsessing over doing sexual things with girls all the time

i have never understood the bible more

i developed a work ethic

i became more social

i opened my mind to more than just music -- i became ever more interested in history, and politics -- and yes, i looked into much more than just society's materials

i became less jealous, anxious

more calm

focused..

the list can go on, but the negatives...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They positively gave me a bad attitude.

W

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

I learned how to dress as a nun,I learned how to put pantyhose on correctly without snagging and I learned how to sit

with my legs together comfortably without crossing them.And people that is an Art!LOL!

• NanaR
    NanaR

I learned to find my way around every nook and cranny of at least three counties in Eastern Kentucky.

Ruth

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

The Theocratic Ministry School helped me with public speaking skills. This helped me in College.

I developed excellent reading and study skills.

I learned dicipline.

I certainly agree with these points, the speaking ability and pioneering really helped me to talk to people on the outside. Lots of conversations

gravitated to things outside religion. I can actually say the times I worked alone was the best. Had super conversations. It has definitely helped

me to be very out going personally.

The negatives of the inside KH and Wt....well I've turned it around to be more positive, and compassionate to people in general.....no more judging.

Cheers

hope4others

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Yes several as a matter of fact.

The biggest one can be found here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/102426/1768915/post.ashx#1768915

I have made several good friends over the years that have remained friends regardless of where I go in life.

There are others as well.

• yknot
    yknot

To withstand peer pressure

I can speak to anyone about anything

I rocked on the debate team as a result of TMS

Boldness..(later a trait they came to regret)

basically all the 'if it didn't kill you, you were made stronger" stuff......

oh and how to clean a bathroom in record speed!

• 10p
    10p

I learned to love the truth. Except, I REALLY learned to love THE TRUTH. It seems I was taught too well, and the student overtook the master. But seriously, I don't know if I would be so concerned with 'truth' if it wasn't for being raised a JW. I haven't just left the borg, I've set off on a life-long mission of fruitless truth seeking. Hey, we all have to do something till we die.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, I learned that Jehovah is an axxhole. I have never had a positive experience with that Almighty Scumbag, ever. And now that I have had the chance to re-examine certain Bible accounts without religious bias, I have found that Jehovah actually is a cruel tyrant.

Everything else I learned in the religion is all crap. I feel that I got more out of the "secret" society that the Washtowel Slaveholdery bashed than out of the Washtowel Slaveholdery itself. That "secret" society taught me that morals are so stupidly simple, just like multiplication, that once you learn the core of it, you will never ever need to be guided by the "holy" spirit again.

Meaning I will never ever need a washtowel or asleep to make a decision for me again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit