Can I cover a kingdom song?

by Solace1998 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

Under copyright law, any song can be legally covered, as long as the proper fee is paid.

so that means i could release versions of kingdom songs? That would be kind of funny.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Please add expletives if you do.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

that would breach the legal barriers, i think -- if you cover a song but alter it too much, you might be accused of copyright infringement.

• Gopher
    Gopher

When you cover a song, can you change the lyrics too -- or do you need permission from the copyright owner? I was thinking it would be funny if someone put Christmas lyrics or atheist lyrics to some of these songs.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

there are a couple of witness songs that already sound like christmas tunes hehe...

but yeah, i wonder. i think you cant actually.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    that would breach the legal barriers, i think -- if you cover a song but alter it too much, you might be accused of copyright infringement.

Think there is more to it than that. Compare the lyrics of these verions of "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

http://www.justsomelyrics.com/924443/N'sync-Leaving-on-a-Jet-Plane-Lyrics Nsync version -- "so many times I've played around"
    http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/r/rancid3205/leavingonajetplanecover556587.html Rancid version -- "so many times I've f***ed around"

Just one example I can think of.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

excellent point actually.

• amicus
    amicus

Why would you do so? Nothing comes to mind that I really would care to hear again.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

I find some of them to be really beautifully done -- but this is coming from a musician, perhaps i appreciate things others dont...

• yknot
    yknot

Does anyone on JWD have a full copy of the Screaming Kingdom Guitars or know where I can find them?

I only have the following three Kingdom Melodies.......these versions would be such a welcomed relief at the DCs!

Kingdom Melody 91

Kingdom Melody 171

Kingdom Melody 223

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit