They've been comin' around the neighborhood

by BlackSwan of Memphis 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

And they caught me at home a couple of times.

A couple of months ago, two nice, very young men (teens) came to the door.

My dog was barking, my older one was walking around without clothes and all I could think of was "I'm soooooooooooo not up for this today."

So, I said "Yeah, uhm, I'm an apostate." The big grins dissapeared and they walked away.

The other day, my bathroom plumbing is getting rerigged and there's a ton of stuff going on, I'm dripping wet from the pool and two woman come up my drive.

"YooHoo!!! Excuse me!" (Here we go) And then she did the spiel. She had to be in her mid to late 70's. I listened politely, remembering what it was like to be on the other side of this. A big grin on my face.

When she ended I said "Yeah, uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm pretty familiar with the teachings of the JW's and I really don't agree with them. But uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good luck right?" (my neighborhood is pretty familiar with what has happened with me) She said "OH ok......well what's your name sweety?" I gave it to her. She started to walk away, I called out to ask her what hall she is from. A way different hall then I went to. She asked if I "had family in the truth?" I muffled a giggle "UHmmmmmmmm yes, I have family that are jw's."

I think I'm getting soft in my old age.

• hubert
    hubert
    "UHmmmmmmmm yes, I have family that are jw's."

Depending on if this is the case, you should have added..."But they shun me now that I left".

Hubert

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Depending on if this is the case, you should have added..."But they shun me now that I left".

Hubert

Ya know...I had a fleeting though of it. But I bit my tongue. Call me a sucker for sweet faces, but looking at her I knew that the problems in my family and between me and my mom are more complicated than the religion itself and spewing it all out wouldn't have done much more than given me a pause to vent.

It just wasn't the time.

• hubert
    hubert

Pick your battles.....You're right.

Good girl.

Hubert

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Pick your battles.....You're right.

Good girl.

Hubert

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They will not be getting in my apartment. I will make sure all they get is to waste their time ringing the door bell and knocking. If they do get in, I will just turn on the Christmas tree and lights and play some Christmas music as I pull out my Ouija board and Crisis of Conscience.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    They will not be getting in my apartment. I will make sure all they get is to waste their time ringing the door bell and knocking. If they do get in, I will just turn on the Christmas tree and lights and play some Christmas music as I pull out my Ouija board and Crisis of Conscience.

Ya know I understand that. I do.
    Something that occurred to me recently though is this...
    I remember when I used to go out in service. People would do some very mean and rude things to me at times. Some times people would through out the cult word and go on and on about how evil the religion was. All it did, for me, was reinforce that I had the right religion. Because "look at how bad people are when they don't have Jah on their side." Typical dub dribble? Yes, of course. So, I think more and more lately I feel like why give them a reason to say anything? Why give them a real reason? Why give them the satisfaction? Perhaps that is the real reason I just don't say anything. For me, right now, where I'm at in this place and time....it's just not worth it.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I agree Memphis-

People that acted crazy only reinforced my religous ideals. I never behave that way when they come a' knockin.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

yeah..what's up with that anyway. They only come when I'm sooo not in the mood. But when I'm all stoked and ready, theres not a one to be found anywhere. kinda like the cops.

lisa

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I agree Memphis-

People that acted crazy only reinforced my religous ideals. I never behave that way when they come a' knockin.

Thank you Freud. I think in many ways some of my words and deeds since leaving have done more damage than good and have alienated myself even more so. There is much I regret, and I cannot undo those things. Once it is done and said it is done and said and cannot be retrieved. I do think that some of that has just reinforced in the minds of some that apostates are hateful and crazy. Being on the other side I do understand WHY this is the case, but there have been times that had I kept my mouth shut and taken a breath, I might have provided a better "witness" to what it means to leave the Organization behind. It's in the past, can't change it, but I can try to do better in the future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit