Wouldn't it be cool if you could make someone see your perspective?

by sweetstuff 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

What I mean by that is this..I had a recent convo with my mom who insisted we had a good upbringing as JW's, my siblings and I and how hurt she is that one sibling in particular blamed the religion during a convo for his mental health issues and addiction.

I tried to explain to her that while I don't blame everything in my life on the "religion" or how they chose to raise us in it, she doesn't get how badly it effected her kids, that she didn't get raised as one and cannot fathom the emotional baggage that comes along with marching into your first years of school as a jw. You know what I am talking about, the isolation, teasing and sheer torture alot of us suffered due to what we could not celebrate, engage in and participate in. Not to mention field service, fear of death at Armageddon and that lovely bible book of horror stories.

I wish there was a way to transfer your own memories or perspective directly into someone else's brain. I know that's not possible of course, but wouldn't it be cool to really know what its like to be in someone else's shoes and have them try yours on for once?

• jgnat
    jgnat

It can be done, but it is never all at once.

As the oldest child, I had a lot of fun teasing my siblings. One of my favorite games was to sit beside them on the bed or couch, and gradually ask them to move over a bit. There'd be a moment where they would be balanced on the edge, that all it would take was a tiny nudge and they'd roll off.

That moment when all it took was the teeniest of nudges, that's what I lived for. It's so elegant, irreversable.

I think we can do the same with people. First load them with nubbets of information, then one day ask them a question they can't answer. Let them chew on it for the rest of their days.

Isn't that how you come to see a new perspective? It rarely comes at you all at once. You get nudged there.

With your mom, you can load her up with new information by pointing out non-threatening third party examples. Stories from the paper and so on. "Isn't that terrible, tsk tsk." You could point out, for instance, that it was not the physical abuse that made it so awful for the children, but the relentless put-downs. "Imagine what it must have been like for those poor children."

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

With your mom, you can load her up with new information by pointing out non-threatening third party examples. Stories from the paper and so on. "Isn't that terrible, tsk tsk." You could point out, for instance, that it was not the physical abuse that made it so awful for the children, but the relentless put-downs. "Imagine what it must have been like for those poor children."

I've been trying that method for years, and it sometimes does work, and I can see the wheels turning, and then the brainwashing kicks in, ASAP. I highly doubt she'll ever really get it, or admit it, as much as I wish she would. She's spent her entire life convincing herself that "its the best way to live". I think deep down she does doubt but will never admit it on any surface level.

Btw, do your siblings ever bring up how you teased them? LOL I can't believe they'd keep falling for that one, gave me a chuckle. The best revenge I got on my siblings as a kid was once vaselining their bedsheets, then making the bed. That night I gleefully watched as they slipped into very slimey beds. I still laugh about it! Hey, they had it coming I tell ya!

• John Doe
    John Doe

No one can have my perspective! Get your owned damned perspective! I've paid dearly for mine! ;-)

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    wouldn't it be cool to really know what its like to be in someone else's shoes and have them try yours on for once?

I really don’t think your shoes would suit me. Anyway, my legs look terrible in stilettos.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    I really don’t think your shoes would suit me. Anyway, my legs look terrible in stilettos.

LMAO, come on, I have some really nice shoes! Sure you don't want to try them on? Going once, going twice....

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    No one can have my perspective! Get your owned damned perspective! I've paid dearly for mine! ;-)

*shivers" at the thought of a peek inside JD's brain. Reminds me of that old Atari game, Ping.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So now Sweetstuff wants Brainwashing powers over people! If you were Jehovah we would have no free will.....free will to obey you or die...take your pick!

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    come on, I have some really nice shoes!

I'm sure you have.....

I’m up for swapping underwear though. You can try on my baggy, broken elastic, thousand wash grey, Y fronts if you want….??

• John Doe
    John Doe
    *shivers" at the thought of a peek inside JD's brain. Reminds me of that old Atari game, Ping.

Ah, so too complicated for you to figure out then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit