Help me give a reply to those who are taunting me.

by moomanchu 25 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

So...God's name is YHWH, Yahweh, Jehovah. Well, that doesn't appear in the NT. Putting it *in* the NT is a desecration of the Bible.

See http://www.thearmchairscholar.org/id50.html for one development of this theme.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Aid to Bible Understanding, Watchtower Bible And Tract Society, 1971, pp. 884, 885.

By combining the vowel signs of 'Adho . nay and 'Elo . him' with the four consonants of the Tetragrammaton the pronunciations Y e ho . wah' and Y e howih' were formed. The first of these provided the basis for the Latinized form "Jehova(h)." The first recorded use of this form dates from the thirteenth century C.E. Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270. Hebrew scholars generally favor "Yahweh" as the most likely pronunciation.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

As you can see above the use of the word Jehovah began with the Catholic church in medieval times. And this is quoted from the WT own literature.

Paul

• Twitch
    Twitch

Who are they that speak for Him?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Who are they that speak for Him?

They do "think too much of themselves" don't they?

• chickpea
    chickpea

you say jehovah, i say flying spaghetti monster....

• blondie
    blondie

What really got my attention was someone pointing out that Jesus did not call God, Jehovah, but Father, a much more intimate term. Is it respectful to call one's father by his first name?

• BFD
    BFD

Jgnat, your post reminded me of a sign I saw in front of a Baptist Church that read...

GOD HAS A BIG ERASER

I thought it was really funny as the church was located in a gay neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Seems to me they may have been trying to appeal to a certain audience!

BFD

• undercover
    undercover

Who is this "Jehovah" that I should fear him?

In other words...according to the Society's own publications, they know that "Jehovah' is an inaccurate translation...yet they presume to "replace" certain other words in their Bible with it. They're no better than those that they claim "removed" it.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Would you call your dad by his first name, no you call him Father, Dad, or something, mostly out of respect, who are we to call the lord by his name?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit