"real" volunteer work

by Mysterious 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Has anyone done any real volunteer work since leaving the dubs or while a dub (scandalous?) and no you can't count delivering the rags. I highly recommend it to anyone leaving the borg as a good way to make connections and feel genuinely good about helping other people. Hopefully I will have a chance to do more in the future but right now I work with a non-profit organization that helps adult parolees re-integrate into the community by finding jobs, applying for housing and ID or volunteering in order to prevent repeat offending.

• chickpea
    chickpea

yep....
    i am a trained court monitor for MADD
    i also work with adult survivors of
    childhood sexu@l @buse

(i am currently using a rosetta stone
    language program in advanced preparation
    for application to the peace corps when the
    youngest graduates high school in 3 yrs!
    it lends an undercurrent of excitement to the future)

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Yep, have helped set up a crisis line and women's/children shelter.

Have worked alot with the Red Cross....not only with blood donations, but alot with their trauma/diaster team.

Have taught GED classes.

Have worked alot with the American Cancer Society.

Have helped raise money for the children's hospital in Dallas.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

What language are you learning chickpea?

crazyblondeb I'm convinced it is people like you that make the world work.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah, I worked for a German volunteer hospital in Aragum Bay Sri Lanka after the tsunami. Didn't see and jws about!! Actually didn't meet any religious volunteers, all too busy saving lives in the real world to discuss beliefs.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Yes, i worked for a mental health telephone call line. I also worked for a neighbourhood mediation service, helping neighbours resolve disputes.

Paul

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Yes, I was a reading tutor in a low income school district during college. Right after college I joined a VISTA-like organization to create and present educational programs about MRDD. Currently I am a member of a non-profit that is active in community events and fund raising for charities.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I have done or am doing:

Teaching kids in a Robotics program at my daughter's middle school.

PTA Oficer.

Community School Board.

CERT.

Isaac

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

I have volunteered in the special education classes at my kid's school. These kids have a lot to teach us!!!

Meow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit