Had to put my dog to sleep today :*(

by LovesDubs 22 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

They tell you when it's time...and she was telling us. The neighbor found her in his yard having a grand mal. I adopted her in 2002 from a shelter, shes a sheltie, and she was fine and wonderful and loved us and protected us. About three years ago she started having seizures and we spent a ton of money trying to figure out the cause and to control them but it was futile. And with each seizure she became weaker and more disoriented and also had constant breathing problems and a nasal infection that was also hindering her breathing. And then she displaced a hip so she was in sad shape. My oldest son is realllllly upset about this. He kept threatening ME not to "kill his dog" or he would be mad at me forever. But he was never around when she was seizing or bleeding or cleaned up after her when she lost control. But today he saw...and he saw the look in her eyes. And he understood. He wont let me touch him or try to comfort him. Hes angry that she is leaving I think. He went with my husband to the vet. She didnt even know who we were this morning and didnt want me to touch her. Whenever she felt a seizure coming on she would come find momma to help her...and I never could.

We will miss her. But Ive had dozens of animals blessing my life in my 54 years and they depend on us not to let them suffer because we are selfish and want to keep them here.

God bless you Starr Baby we will always love you.

Love, momma

• jgnat
    jgnat

To help with your son, I think he is projecting his own self-condemnation a bit. Children grieve differently than adults. They get angry, "act out", start doing poorly at school. If you can reassure him that there is nothing he could have done to save his dog, even if he says nothing, it might help. Also, let him know how wonderful it is that he loved his dog so well. Reassure him that he has a big heart, and even if it is painful now, to love so deeply is a gift.

Could you put together a small memorial for your dog, a scrapbook perhaps, of all the wonderful things it did during it's life?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Good suggestions jg. Hes almost 20...big 6'4" guy and he was just undone by this. Of all of us, he was the one that spent probably the least amount of time with her playing and such so I was taken aback by how deeply he was connected to her. :( Its really hard. I used to hate how she always chased my car down the driveway, herding me...now I will miss it.

• megs
    megs

I'm sorry to hear that :( Pets really are part of the family, it's a blessing that you can put them out of their suffering though.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oops. But even big, strapping twenty year-olds need help getting over their grief. I'm even more convinced that some of this anger is guilt.

• Quandry
    Quandry

So sorry.

We had our dog for thirteen years. It was raining and we let her into the garage. We left the side door open so she could go out into the yard if she needed to. When I came home from work she was gone. We looked and called for days and days but never found her. If only she could have died at home with us, or if I'd taken her to have her put to sleep.

I know it is small comfort, but at least your doggie was not alone. She had a happy home with you and care. What more could a dog ask?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Been there done that. Not a good feeling.

• wings
    wings

So sorry.....big red heart.....can't post emoticons right now. wings

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I'm sorry. I know just how you feel and the emptiness in your heart and home. When you go to get another animal person in your life she will help you pick the one who needs you and you need the most.

You did the right thing.

• chickpea
    chickpea

keep shining, beautiful starr baby
    in the hearts of those whom you loved best

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit