So.....Are Jehovah's Witnesses A "Cult"?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When I first joined this board, I felt they had "cultish" aspects but would not go to the point of saying the "C" word.

Now, I unequivocally say that JWs are a CULT!

What do you think???

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Aye, Capt'n!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Is the pope catholic?

• carla
    carla

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck. The jw's are most definitely a cult.

• minimus
    minimus

There are a few here that still defend the Witnesses in different ways. I am sure that not everyone believes they are a cult.

• snowbird
    snowbird

C. U. L. T.

I'm trying to get my daughter away from their clutches.

Sylvia

• james_woods
    james_woods

Seriously, with all the political correctness in the current media-driven "culture"* - you almost cannot speak the word "Cult" anymore.

Look it up in the dictionary, and it is really not all that derisive a term in original meaning. Sort of like "Frog", I guess you might say - it has come to take on much more than it's dictionary definition, in certain circumstances.

*"culture" - did everybody like the subtle and tricky way I slipped that in?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

To me there is a lot of WTS behavior that is cultic in nature, time control, belief control and due to the both of these, mind control. Another concern is the belief that 'only we have the truth', and then the abilty, or should I say, power, to modify this truth almost at will and raise no major questions at all. I am still in awe at the generation change that was announced last year as almost an 'oh by the way' in the questions from readers, how such a fundamental change that causes pretty large changes in the direction and interpretation of the organization was so casually announced. By seeing how the followers accept these changes without question shows me what mind control they have.....so I guess in my opinion, if not full blown cult, right on the fringes.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

YUP!!

They are the poster children

• minimus
    minimus

The fact is, JWs believe EVERYONE else but them are going to be "destroyed" and only JWs will live. Because of this view, they regard others difeerently, as beneath them, really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit