sex with divorcing dispouse= forgiveness, can't divorce says the lord?

by burningbridges 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yes, this is one of the more outrageous WTS rules - and I have also heard it is based on Old English law.

I had a close friend DFed for this stupid rule.

This is just another example of the WTS not trusting the rank and file. Two adults trying to work out a troubled marriage cannot be trusted to work out between themselves whether or not forgiveness will be or even can be expressed in a case of unfaithfulness. No, the WTS has got to lay an arbitrary rule on every couple in this situation.

S4

• milligal
    milligal

Yeah I knew that one, and here's another one:

If you want to leave your spouse, divorce them commit adultry or whatever and end the marriage ties you STILL cannot date within the JW organization unless they (your ex) spouse gives you permission to move on. The elders told both myself and my ex this when I left him; before I was df'd. Of course my ex said he would never release me, I belonged to him...forever.

And now we start talking about mental illness....

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Religious rules
    Bah!!

Only 2 commandments
    1 - Love God
    2 - Love neighbor as self

Nothing else important
    Nothing else matters

Everything else CAN be dealt with using those 2 commandments

Christianity = Simplicity

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What if it's (gasp) oral sex? That shou;dn't count - it's condemned!

Only one of the people went back to the witnesses and he got remarried.

Abomination! Deut 24:4

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Yep that is correct. Not that i would want to have my genitals played with by my ex wife anyway, uurrrggghh.

Paul

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

well, let's not forget thought that homosexuality doesn't count!!! If you're gonna do it, do it with the same sex...

Watchtower 1972 January 1 pp.31-2 Questions from Readers

Questions from Readers

• Do homosexual acts on the part of a married person constitute a Scriptural ground for divorce, freeing the innocent mate to remarry?—U.S.A.

Homosexuality is definitely condemned in the Bible as something that will prevent individuals from gaining God's approval. (1 Cor. 6:9, 10) However, whether an innocent mate would Scripturally be able to remarry after procuring a legal divorce from a mate guilty of homosexual acts must be determined on the basis of what the Bible says respecting divorce and remarriage…

While both homosexuality and bestiality are disgusting perversions, in the case of neither one is the marriage tie broken. It is broken only by acts that make an individual "one flesh" with a person of the opposite sex other than his or her legal marriage mate.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

BB, where you get yer hands on that old old old dark dim lite....

You can't do that anymore... but you prolly already know that right?

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

Yes, I knew that. My ex was with someone after we had separated. He and I had gotten back together, therefore I guess I "forgave" at that point, whatever. It doesn't really matter since he ended up going back to that other woman again. Maybe my "forgiveness" was voided then lol.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

All of the previous comments are very good... I have another situation to add...

This fella... middle-aged... had never been married - and finally snags a woman (also middle-aged) - who had been married, and divorced - and free to remarry.

Anyway... that's the background.

Well... they got married... and for some reason, the woman has 'cold feet'. As a result - they never did the 'horizontal mambo'. They never even slept in the same bed together. Heck - he lived in one house - and she another.

Guess what? They couldn't get a divorce - not by the WTBTS rules. Neither had committed fornication (and neither would), and so... both were still considered married - even though the woman disliked the fella - to the extreme.

*shakes head*

Regards,

Jim TX

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is basically another of the obstacles that the Washtowel Slaveholdery puts up against marriage. And to keep people in a loveless marriage because of a few old fogeys that will not accept that we are no longer living in the Victorian age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit