Solid Non-Biblical Proof That Jesus Existed

by White Dove 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm in the christian camp today. That feels warm and cozy.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    The actual "Jesus(es)" of the Gospels, which, along with his (their) mythical features, are the only one(s) which matter(s) to both Christian faith and post-Christian culture.
    "breaking through" to the "real" in some fresh ways

At the moment, we lack the freshness and openness to tackle the issue on both sides of the big puddle. (This is related to Burn's remark that all Jesus minimalisists seem to have a hidden agenda as well).

We need something fresh, not something old stylishly attired in Dolce & Gabbana.

Nark mentioned an ecstatic leap. Who dares?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hamilcarr,

The "real" about any "historical Jesus" (or any other historical person, for that matter) would include such things as a hot late spring afternoon, the cool shade of a fig tree, the sound of birds and the wind in the leaves, the taste of bread and olives, the smell of sweat and perfumed oil, ideas playing in his head and others', hopes and fears in his heart... all that which is unaccessible to history as we know it but can be approached through creative fiction from the subject's own experience of the "real" -- through perception, observation of perception, and cultural "text". It would have more to do with the "search of time lost" as Marcel Proust meant it, only in a less self-centered (or more "ek-static") way...

Kierkegaard's obsession with being Christ's contemporary comes to mind.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It reminds me of this popular fictional account "around" Jesus:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Galilean-SCM-Classics/dp/0334028523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215561295&sr=1-1

Has anyone else read it? Pretty good I thought.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yes, it was pretty good, the work of an excellent NT scholar with an interesting sociological approach (which he pursued on more solid ground later by dealing with early Christianity rather than Jesus), and a very original (back then) alternance of novel and scholarly argument (under the form of letters to his master).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit