Hello all

by peace 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Before you let kids come into contact with JW relatives you must teach them how to think. There are books on how to do this, and they may benefit you as well. E.g. 'Teach Your Child How To Think' by Edward de Bono

You must also teach them how to recognise the warning signs of mind control. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little available that is suitable for young ones. If anyone knows of any good books on the subject, please start a thread and list them.

You could start by familiarising yourself with these techniques so that you can explain them to your daughter in language that she can understand. If she starts chalenging some of your own pet beliefs, you have succeeded, don't spoil it by bullying her into accepting your views.

Armed with the above, she should be quite safe with relatives and school friends who are members of any of the high control cults.

Cheers

Chris

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Well I don't have any children myself but I do recall back to that age and I was very precocious. I would tell her that you and her parents think very differently about life and god and are not able to agree on it. Then say that her parents do not want to see you because they don't agree with you and don't want to argue about it anymore. Doesn't get into dogma but does explain the crux of the matter.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Hi peace

I'm not sure what advice to give you - children aways seem to wonder what part they are playing in situations and relationships they are confronted with and that is very healthy.

You may be able to explain some of the dynamics in story form without antagonising her against her JW relatives but at the same time helping her to see that JWs have their own particular way of seeing things, and everyone does not have to adhere to their partcular way as they insist.

Best wishes

ql

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit