Traveling Overseers (Cars, benefits, etc.)

by nbernat 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nbernat
    nbernat

Our DO was over for dinner last night and he said that the WTS is gonna stop leasing cars to the DO and COs and is gonna use an international company to supply cars to all traveling overseers. I wonder if they'll give them Mercedes now.

Also he was complaining about how they only get $50 monthly. Where do they get money for gas? I don't see how it's possible to live off of $50.

Is there some sort of security for traveling overseers? I.e. would it be a good retirement plan?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Traveling overseers will get some money from the publishers each time he visit the congregation, they do not have retirement plan.

• nbernat
    nbernat

Yes I guess they make around $100 a week. Lol. Or per congregation visit.

Wow so the WTS kicks them to the curb when they can't serve anymore?? That sounds unlikely.

• yknot
    yknot

I heard Dale Baker was selling his Hyundai-Isuzu but I guess he is getting out of the business if the WTS has got a new supplier. The COs and DOs get money from 'green handshakes'. Overseers are volunteers, subjected to lay offs like any other Bethelite. Here is my suggestion in this world of skyrocketing petrol........(Tata Motors) alt........ Personally this sounds like the WTS is trying to get some DOs and COs to step down........perfect for the 'need' to implement a new cost effective (and legal distancing from mother) arrangement. Boy it would sure be nice if another DO join the forum........God Bless/ Good vibes to Maximus where ever he is tonight! If there are any COs lurking.....we welcome you anytime....it blows to be eliminated by some suck-up PO.

• asilentone
    asilentone

nbernat, My Dad always pay CO $100 each time he visit his congregation, so I would not be surprised if C.O. do get alot more money than you think

• asilentone
    asilentone

They also get free food each week

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting, if the rumour is true that the role of CO is to be done away with I wonder why they are looking at other lease arrangements.

In Australia the cars are supplied by Bethel, which recovers the cost by having each congregation donate a monthly amount. Bethel also provides the small monthly payment to the CO/DO. Cost of living for the CO is not high, as they have food and shelter provided. The CO also provides an expense report each week to the congregation to pay for that covers phone, petrol and stationary. On top of this individuals in the congregation occasionally choose to donate to the CO in private. This varies dramatically depending on how rich the congregation is. Someweeks the CO receives nothing, other times it can amount to $100's.

Overall the CO receives enough money to live comfortably whilst on Circuit work. It is when they stop circuit work that things can be harder, as Bethel does not provide any pension arrangement, so the CO needs to find a job or pension to get back on their feet.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Also he was complaining about how they only get $50 monthly. Where do they get money for gas? I don't see how it's possible to live off of $50.

Is there some sort of security for traveling overseers? I.e. would it be a good retirement plan?

They submit their weekly expenses to the congregations they were visiting. The
    cong. will rubber stamp an approval to pay their expenses. They can submit for
    all the gas and virtually everything.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a way to get rich. But they don't have to pay for their
    own needs while visiting a congregation.

The only retirement plan or golden parachute for C.O's and D.O's is the one they
    create out of the green handshakes. I knew one C.O. that put half of all the extra
    money donated directly to him into his retirement fund. These guys can make
    a decent side amount out of the green handshakes, but they have to live frugal to
    keep their expenses minimum so the elders will know they will submit small expense
    reports, then they give them the green handshakes of higher amounts.

I always realized the C.O. who put aside half didn't even need to spend the other half,
    so perhaps others put aside more private donations toward their retirement.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's possible that the position of D.O. will be kept, there are far less of them than C.O.s.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

After the CO finishes his week with the congregation he submits and expense report. I WAS accounts servant, so I saw them all.

typical expenses are always in the $100 range

1) gas

2) personal food needed beyond the "being invited"

3) haircuts his/hers

4) drycleaning

5) misc. stuff like even a newspaper he needs.

on top of that my Kingdom hall made up of several congregation gives him a FREE apartment, with FREE utilities, with FREE furniture, with FREE ($59 a month) satellite TV

on top of that the society thru the circuit gives him a FREE lease

on top of that the society thru the circuit gives him FREE healthcare and FREE insurance.

green handshakes buys him the rolex and the $600 suits

and if he's smart he will save 1/2 the green handshakes for when he looses his job.

yours truly with LOVE, DaCheech

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit