July 4th, 2008 -- The Price of Freedom

by Nathan Natas 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Prove to me that these men even existed.

That's easy.... look up their geneology and find their decendents..(public records make great validation).

Now.... prove to us that you exist.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Frankie:

Gopher.

If we don't appreciate how difficult freedom is to obtain, if we don't cherish it & stand up for it, we're in danger of losing it
    We already lost it. Ex.1) Partriot Act, 2) Homeland Secrutity, wire tapping, governmental enforcement of laws that take away personal freedoms run into the hundred, heavy taxation, Just ask any Indian about freedom and trusting the US government.

I don't think we've already lost it, well not all of it. There is still time for people to shake out of their apathy and demand change in America. But you're right, we're in serious danger. That's part of why I made that post, because on a day when we're celebrating the idea of freedom, we should consider how fragile it is.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks for that Nathan.

Blueblades

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Prove to me that these men even existed.

All I have for proof are words supposedly written about them and some words possibly written by them.

I have never met them, nor even seen them.

Warlock

Prove to me you exist. I have never met you, nor even seen you.

shelley

• llbh
    llbh

Just as an aside please do not allow history to colour your judgement of Britain and us Brits, We tend to like the US are not anti US.

What happened in the is just that , past.

Th busiet international air route in the world is between London and New York. That says alot of how we get along now

Regards David

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Thank you for the information. I found it very interesting.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Warlock
    Do you exist??
    I have never seen you
    You may be George Bush
    I've NEVER seen the two of you together
    Kevin Bacon maybe?

Nathan
    Thank you for the reminder

People need to fight to receive or keep their freedom
    Freedom is not a release from obligation or responsibility

No man (or woman) should be a slave to another
    Toleration of such is an attempt to give a moral equivalence
    for a dastardly act

Why should I ask someone to sacrifice themselves for me if I
    am not prepared to do so for myself

Everyone must have a rational self interest for their own well being

As a result, everyone of like mind will benefit

We, as well as our "Leaders" should always keep these things in mind

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The way I look at it (4th of july).

Every nation has it's national holidays. The purpose to unite the people and keep them subserviant to the then rulling government.

The "delcaration of independance" served as a sales pitch for the newly formed government to the colonist to revolt and accept the newly forming government so of course they are going to promise all kinds of benifits and protections to sell this new government.

ANd the US government needs to have the peoples support,, while they pile on the taxes, build it's military, another words it needs your complacentcy, and support while it fucks you up the ass with taxes and threats of imprisionment if you don't comply with it's often self serving laws. WHat a great way to do this is by indoctrinating it's member with extremely biased historical accounts of how nationhood was won. This serves to keep the people both pacified and and bent over to take it as many times up the ass any time the government wants to screw us with higher taxes and further loss of freedoms.

That's the way I see the 4th. It's a tool to keep us proud while we watch as the US government catters to the rich and fuck us just one more time for old times sake with rhetoric about how free we are compared to some nasty monarchy or dictatorship. Patriotism, and fighting for freedom have been the propaganda tools used to keep us quiet and pacified and the the 4th of july national holiday is just one of them.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

While I view the Declaration as a sales pitch to gain support for the newly forming government,, i think the ideals are great but as a country we never have lived up to it's ideals but any attempt is a step in the right direction.

Here a good reading of it.

Declaration of Independence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyttEu_NLU

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

A patriotic song about the US military that ignores polictical manipulation by our Prez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnLKzRJE08&feature=related

Good old blind patriotism expression and fighting freedom unleashed on the defenseless civilains of another country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBEKczqgC4&feature=related

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit