Praying over food - JW/Christians self-centred nonsense

by jambon1 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

"Dear jehovah. Thank you for providing this food for us. My family & I are hungry & it's lovely to fill ourselves with your provisions. It's a shame that you couldn't provide for the starving millions in the same way. You know, the crying little babies that will die of hunger. I know jehovah, because I did a google search & I never realised that it is actually unbelievably painfull when a person dies of starvation. But I am gratefull that you have spared me & mine that fate. Amen." Religion is full of people who bathe in their own importance. It does my head in!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Why "give thanks"?

1) Why not express appreciation for good things?

2) Jesus did it, so if one wants to be Christian it is following his precedent.

BTW it is a habit that I no longer keep up, but I see no wrong in it... I just disliked those went on too long when I wanted to eat.!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If God put us here..Then he Bloodly-Well owes us food!!..LOL!!..And..He`s behind on making sure people in other parts of the world are eating!..Whats with that?..How hard would it be for God,to put up a few MickyD`s and KFC`s in impoverished countrys..Pepsi 2Bucket of Chicken 2...................And..As long as I`m on a complaining streak..How come I can`t buy a TVGuide at the grocery store any more?..I have to go online to get TVGuide now!.......And....Whats with the locks on the front doors,of stores that are open 24hrs a day?!!......The whole world has gone Mad!!..Blah BlahBlah Blah...................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

"Dear Jehovah, I wake up every morning at 6 am. I rush around like mad to get ready for work. I work hard all day and put up with other people's crap, all to earn this pathetic salary which pays for my food and shelter. I busted my ass to buy this food and prepare it, but I'll thank you for it anyway."

W

• Awakened07
  • XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Religion is full of people who bathe in their own importance.

I wonder who Chrissy Hitchens thanks for his scotch?

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I laugh at all the repeats. If you are going to bother at least mean what you're saying.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    "Dear jehovah. Thank you for providing this food for us. My family & I are hungry & it's lovely to fill ourselves with your provisions. It's a shame that you couldn't provide for the starving millions in the same way. You know, the crying little babies that will die of hunger. I know jehovah, because I did a google search & I never realised that it is actually unbelievably painfull when a person dies of starvation. But I am gratefull that you have spared me & mine that fate. Amen." Religion is full of people who bathe in their own importance. It does my head in!

I'm an atheist and agree that many religionists are selfish. However, I don't think everyone who prays can be accused of self-centeredness like this. Many truly are grateful, and want to thank whoever they believe provided for them, knowing that others are not as fortunate. Many religions do have social programs that reach out to help less fortunate ones not only in their communities, but even to other places around the world. I don't believe it's right to slam believers for praying. However there are certain religions and religious leaders that preach a materialistic brand of faith, believing that God is blessing them and that others who are less fortunate are that way because they deserve it. And they have no programs to help others in their community. If you're referring to those selfish types of religionists, I certainly cannot disagree.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Aren't we better than dogs? Remember this from pg 23 of the June 1, 1985 wt?

Mother was a believer in prayer. Prayer was a must for us at mealtimes. "Dogs wag their tails when you feed them. Are we less appreciative than dogs?" she would say. She also wanted us to say our prayers before we went to bed. Since none of us knew the Lord’s Prayer in English, she would have us kneel and recite the words in Polish after her.—Matthew 6:9-13.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

jambon1

Mocking someone's beliefs, is a great example of someone "who bathe in their own importance". Not to mention, insecure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit