Letter to Elders As An MS Going to College

by daniel-p 19 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Freud, It used to be that JW attitudes regarding college varied greatly from congregation to congregation. However, after the article in 2005, things have been a bit more sketchy. And now, with the latest ultimatum from COs to elders, its bound to heat up even more.

Sacolton, I started to fade not soon after I "stepped aside." So it's been over 2 years.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

My little brother is in college (he's 19). My parents are proud of him and feel that in this day and age you almost have to. I understand that things vary by congregation.. but outside of this board I haven't heard of this. I have cousins in Mississippi that are JW college students and they have never been "counselled" for it. I wonder if it's more acceptable by Black JWs since as a group we statistically have the bigger financial struggles.

• Confession
    Confession

Great letter, Daniel--and great ensuing discussion. Last year, to my surprise, I was contacted by my oldest niece and her husband, both JWs. She was 29, he about 33. I'd heard from my daughter that they might not be as zealous as they used to be. I got together with them when I was in upstate New York, and they--along with her younger sister, about 22.

I definitely tried to stay away from any conversation about the organization, but it would certainly come up. Both ladies spoke of their having achieved high GPAs in high school, and I had to ask what so motivated them. I shared that, since I knew college was so discouraged in the early and mid-80s, when I was coming of age, I just never felt an incentive to do all that well. What was the point?

They all said things to the effect that, "Well, I think the organization understands now that it's pretty hard to make it without some kind of extra education. It's a little different now than it used to be." I acknowledged that, for a time, there did seem to be a relaxing of concerns over college--but it was stipulated to be okay only "to support ones ministry," and that recently the organization very definitely had begun to crack down hard on college. They didn't seem aware of it--nor did they want to deal with it.

No question: there is a different spirit about this from congregation to congregation. But the recent bigtime crackdown is, I hope, going to be the final straw for many--as it was for Daniel. For a time many young JWs were going to college and getting educations. But now? "Not for you, young one! You get to shovel dirt and wash windows... But isn't this kind protection a loving provision from Jehovah!!!" Today's younger JWs are, I think, beginning to question this dog and pony show in far greater numbers than they used to, and with the new crackdown? I predict sooooo many are going to skate.

Here's to them.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I understand that things vary by congregation.. but outside of this board I haven't heard of this.

It must be your age, because when I was in during the 80's, college was expressely forbidden in my PA congregation. When I moved to VA, they were a little more lax, but most of the young people who were going to college were also pioneering, so it wasn't looked on as that bad.

• tartarus
    tartarus

I worked as hairdresser before.If you want to make money, trust me - you can't do it part-time. There's too much competition in the business. When I went to beauty school it was full of highschool dropouts . For that reason in Ontario the Guild of Hairstylists lobbied for the gov. to require that they finish grade 12 (before you could do with grade 10). Imagine the idiots who end up there. I had a 90 % percent average when I graduated. Why of why didn't I listen to the guidance counsellors? Oh, I know....you guessed it - the end is near.

Plus you gotta go to hair shows and take classes continually to upgrade your skills and keep sense of style up-to-date. That takes time. Wouldn't recommend this job to JW. Fashion business is evil. lol

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Nicely written. This WT article had a similar impact on me.

• llbh
    llbh

Well put and heartfelt without rancour

Hope you are doing well at college

Regards David

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Nice letter. Glad you're out. I've already heard of some stepping down after this last CO letter about reviewing elders and MS who allow family members to go to college, or go themselves.

S4

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

S4, I can't help but think that my situation and my subsequent decision was an early example of exactly what the Society is precipitating with this letter through COs. I saw the contradiction; that if the Society was going to that degree to discourage college, I could not simultaneously be an example in the congregation--representing the direction of the GB--and pursue higher education. Not only that, but the fact that I disagreed with the WTS made my service as an MS a sham. I just couldn't go on with it.

• lancelink
    lancelink

That is a very-well written letter, and you expressed yourself in a very respectful, yet pointed way.

thank you for sharing this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit