Right To Die?

by hamilcarr 17 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    In the current structure of corporate society, as soon as it becomes a "right," it is bound to become a business.

This is exactly what already appears to happen in Switzerland. The article mentions a "bustling trade" in assisted suicide and the German MPs are concerned about the "commercial ventures" selling their services.

Just imagine the ads...

Could lead to a creepy revival of black humour

While repulsive at face value, would it be really that bad?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Assisted Suicide should be outlawed its big brothers way of reniging on social security and one step closser to soylent green.

If some one doesnt want to live. They can kill themselves. Its none of big brothers business.

You come in alone.

You should go out alone.

• chellechelle
    chellechelle

people have a right to living or not living their lives..

• amicus
    amicus
    While repulsive at face value, would it be really that bad?

Either you haven't given this any thought or you are just flaming away. Nothing is bad in a Capitalistic Society, right? Of course to make this even more effective we could suggest that anyone offing a family member with an "approved drug cocktail" gets a family tax credit. It's win win. Drug manufacturers make even more money and familys benefit as well. All profit is good profit!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

If some one doesnt want to live. They can kill themselves. Its none of big brothers business.

You come in alone.

You should go out alone.

I think you're confusing assisted suicide and euthanasia. Assisted suicide is a form of suicide, this means that the individual kills himself. Another individual may provide him with the necessary means, but the critical action is performed by the person himself.

Euthanasia, on the other hand, means that someone else (a physician) injects the lethal dose.

What do you exactly mean by big brother?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Either you haven't given this any thought or you are just flaming away. Nothing is bad in a Capitalistic Society, right? Of course to make this even more effective we could suggest that anyone offing a family member with an "approved drug cocktail" gets a family tax credit. It's win win. Drug manufacturers make even more money and familys benefit as well. All profit is good profit!

Try to go beyond the intuitive repulsiveness.

• amicus
    amicus
    Try to go beyond the intuitive repulsiveness.

Sure, I'll take the bait.

This is eventually going to be beneficial to mankind. Few can argue that the rate of growth of our species is sustainable. Wars, ethnic cleansing and famine's are messy. Clean, voluntary, humane suicides are good for our species.

Is this where you are heading? I'm guessing here as I was fed books to read as a kid positing all this crap as possible eventualities for us not so bright apes. Sci Fi has often gotten history wrong...some authors though have come frighteningly close.

I'll take a position here, will you?

I approve of a world in which we have the freedom to make personal choices.

I'm highly suspicious of a world that allows an individual to take their own life when a 3rd party may possibly benefit.

Unassisted personal suicide should be accepted. Toss "profit" into that mix and sorry, I ain't buying.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

This is eventually going to be beneficial to mankind. Few can argue that the rate of growth of our species is sustainable. Wars, ethnic cleansing and famine's are messy. Clean, voluntary, humane suicides are good for our species.

Is this where you are heading?

This has nothing to do with natural selection whatsoever, but rather with taking away the taboo around suicide (and death?), and by doing so reducing the stigma.

This could lead to a paradoxical situation: people talk more about suicide and aren't ashamed to report it as a cause of death while at the same time the absolute number of suicide decreases (the same has been the case with pedophily). This is what Wikipedia reports about the assumed increase of suicide rate in Europe:

There may also be an explanation in the reduced stigma attached to survivors as suicide is no longer considered a crime or a sin. This may allow coroners to record more suicides as such and so increase stats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit