Elders don't close their eyes when they pray

by outofthebox 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

You never close your eyes anymore when you pray to Jah.
    And there's no tenderness in our Kingdom Hall.
    You're trying hard not to show it, (baby).
    But baby, baby I know it...

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
    Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
    Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.

Now there's no welcome look in your eyes when I reach for you.
    And now your're starting to critisize little things I do.
    It makes me just feel like crying, (baby).
    'Cause baby, something in you is dying.

You lost that lovin' feeling,
    Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
    Now it's gone...gone...gone...woooooah

Baby, baby, I get down on my knees for you.

If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah.

We had a love...a love...a love you don't find everyday.

So don't...don't...don't...don't let it slip away.

Baby (baby), baby (baby),
    I beg of you please...please,
    I need your love (I need your love), I need your love (I need your love),
    So bring it on back (So bring it on back), Bring it on back (so bring it on back).

Bring back that lovin' feeling,
    Whoa, that lovin' feeling
    'Cause it's gone...gone...gone,
    and I can't go on,
    noooo...

Whoa, that lovin' feeling
    'Cause it's gone...gone...

• parakeet
    parakeet

I never noticed whether anyone's eyes were open. I was too busy trying to keep my hungry stomach from grumbling when the meeting went 45 minutes overtime. AGAIN.

• flipper
    flipper

OUT of the BOX- As a witness I didn't notice whether the elders opened their eyes or not during prayers- but the other things you mentioned, I noticed a lot ! During regular meetings I would see them reading materials not even being discussed at the meetings, or writing something not involving the meeting at hand, or better still, walking around during meetings outside shooting the breeze with other elders or publishers ! I really feel that once they were appointed elders - they felt they had reached the top- no more need to learn. Just my opinion

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

What shocked me the most is seeing them writing stuff down during the prayer. The communication with God means nothing to them.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

That's really weird...but I would understand the natural curiousity. I used to have fantasies at the conventions about evildoers who were about to mug people or shoot someone during the prayer, due to the fact that everyone's eyes were closed.

I had to open my eyes to see who would do such a thing....that, and I didn't feel like closing my eyes for 5 minutes...

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

I followed the example of a curcuit overseer from the early 80's. He did not close his eyes or bow his head when saying a prayer from the platform! He just kind of conjured up a thoughtful stare.....

He gave some of the best prayers I have ever heard. I wonder where Mark is now? He drove new Volvo's.

He was a kind all of his own, and refreshing.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Theres no rule I know of whether you close your eyes or not, I think its just bowing your head

that counts. I always left my eyes open....tee hee hee (didn't want my eye makeup to smear).

Maybe they are reading their prayer...

hope4others

• startingover
    startingover

Since I quit believing in any kind of supernatural entity, whenever I am in a situation where a prayer is said, I keep my head erect and eyes wide open. I have been in this situation several times, all except one have been at JW funerals. As I scan the room it's very interesting to see what is transpiring. I occasionally make contact with someone like me, and I knew almost immediately they were on the same page with me with the whole god thing. But then there were others who when caught looking around let guilt made them put their heads back down and close their eyes. Hilarious!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I used to get my best praying done while driving. I was awake, alert, alone. And since I was driving, having my eyes open seemed best. I had an hours commute and it seemed a good use of my time.

I think that is when I discovered that at least half the benefit of prayer was stating your gratefulness and your needs. Clarity-it's a good thing!

• yesidid
    yesidid

Outofthebox,

Don't you feel just a tad hypo........... hypo something,......complaining about other elders having THEIR eyes open.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit