Elders don't close their eyes when they pray

by outofthebox 21 Replies latest jw friends

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

When I was a hardcore JW, I closed my eyes and paid attention to the prayer, because I believed we were communicating with God. What a privilege!

Now, it has been some time since I closed my eyes when the JWs pray. I don't believe it, so why even close my eyes.

But, I am a new elder and I noticed that several other elders doesn't close their eyes either when they pray in the BOD meetings. I'll tell you even more, they keep writing and reading stuff. Some of them even in the "regular" meetings. Have you ever noticed something similar?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Well, I have noticed one MS brother never close his eyes each time he said the prayer before the congregation. I do not think there is a rule for it.

• WHO
    WHO

What bearing does closing one's eyes have upon praying? I pray with my eyes wide open and sometimes full of tears.

• sir82
    sir82

I once heard, in an elder's meeting, one elder "counseling" another for not closing his eyes during a prayer.

Never could figure out how the counselor figured that one out, without opening his own eyes...

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I almost wanted to read this as "Elders don't close their eyes when they PREY"

Made me laugh for a bit!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I got smacked once right up side the head immediately after my mom said amen, because my eyes weren't closed I felt dizzy after that one! I wanted to smack her back because obviously she didn't have her eyes closed either

nj

• snowbird
    snowbird

NJ, you're a riot, girl!

This reminds me of the girlfriend who accused her boyfriend on not closing his eyes when they kissed.

I wonder how she knew?

But, back on topic. I knew a pretentious MS who never closed his eyes while leading the cong in prayer. I happened to look up during one of his particularly wordy prayers and noticed. Afterwards, whenever he prayed, I always looked to see if his eyes were closed. They never were.

Strange people, those JW's.

Sylvia

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

I don't think there is a rule on this. (shocking I know) Our family just bowed our heads. I always got a little dizzy when I closed my eyes--I always was wearing high heels. Also, when my kids were smaller there was no way I could close my eyes; they would have run off or put something in their mouths!!!

• New light for you
    New light for you

My buddy who was all ready to get baptized, went over the questions and everything was NOT allowed to because he had his eyes open when he prayed. He also would like roll his neck while the prayer... the brothers knew he had neck/back issues, but aparently Jeh didn't like it and didn't think he was good enough! He ended up killing himself.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

In one congo in Sacramento, it was seen as the sign of an alert brother. Citing Judges 7:4-6 and the story of Gideon and the 300 where only ALERT men were selected to save Israel.

4 But the LORD said to Gideon, "There are still too many men. Take them down to the water, and I will sift them for you there. If I say, 'This one shall go with you,' he shall go; but if I say, 'This one shall not go with you,' he shall not go."

5 So Gideon took the men down to the water. There the LORD told him, "Separate those who lap the water with their tongues like a dog from those who kneel down to drink." 6 Three hundred men lapped with their hands to their mouths. All the rest got down on their knees to drink.

Apparently during times of distress the congregation will have to have alert ones that will protect the flock when Satan attacks them during one of the exceedingly long and boring prayers made at the close of a DC! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit