Why ARE They Called 'Pioneers'?

by Rapunzel 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    Hence, "to pioneer" came to mean to prepare or open the way, and a "pioneer" was one who took the lead, forging ahead in the face of odds or opposition, as the early settlers of the North American West did. The term suggests an individual who is intrepid, one who presses ahead until his goal is realized. What an apt description this is for those who are self-sacrificing "soldiers" of Christ Jesus full time!

Even though I was a "Pioneer", I thought the term was rather ridiculous.When I think of Pioneers, I think of those who truly have paved the way for others.Whether it was those who traveled by foot and wagon across America to settle a new land, Explorers who made boats and traveled across the world in the face of great danger...even when they thought the earth was flat, those who traveled to the depths of the ocean despite great danger.And of course, there are many other examples, but the Space Program is an absolutely outstanding example of true PIONEERING.These men and women have put their life on the line to reach the moon and beyond.It was doubted by some experts that anyone could even live in outer space,and yet, they went anyway.Some have died doing so, but the benefits to mankind have already been seen..and will continue to be.Despite criticism of "nationalism"; I'm proud that America was the first to reach the moon.Truly, "One small step for a man,one giant leap for mankind".Knocking on doors....not so much.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

I again thank everyone for their. I thank Blondie for sharing the information that she "mined" from the Watchtower library. It is a great resource to have on a website such as this one, and I'm grateful for it.

Not to be too insistant or pedantic [I realize that I appear to be so, but I really don't intend it], but I must take exception with the Society's official "spin" on, or definition of the word, pioneer. I really feel that their definition is not to be trusted. Imagine that. In the Watchtower article in question, they claim that the word pioneer does not refer to an "ordinary foot soldier" [as if being a foot soldier were bad thing, something too lowly or demeaning to even deserve consideration]. In fact, the word pioneer came into the English language via the Middle French pionier, itself being derived from the Old French, peonier. Both French words designate a foot soldier. This is obvious in that both French words come from Latin, and the root of all the words concerned is ped, which means "foot."

In claiming that pioneer designates an engineer, I think that the Society is confusing pioneers with sappers. Given the Watchtower's traditional policy excorciating higher education, I find it a little ironic that the Society should claim that pioneer designates a sort of engineer, since becoming an engineer ordinarily requires obtaining a university degree. But then again, maybe I am alone in seeing irony in this case.

It's also true that the term Pioneers formerly designated members [ages 10 to 16] of Communist youth groups in the Soviet Union.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit