Why ARE They Called 'Pioneers'?

by Rapunzel 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

stagnating and dreadful

Perfect words to describe.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

For once, they seem to have overlooked the etymological "true root" meaning of the word.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Thank you FinallyFree, YN, WTW for your responses - In fact, when I mentioned the etymological I had it in the back of my mind that in no way are witness "pioneers" truly pioneers at all in any of the word's senses. They don't "pave the way" for others. Moreover, in no way can it be said that they are original settlers or on the "cutting edge" of anything. As I said, they are simply pawns and "worker bees" being exploited by the "Queen Mother" organization.

It's no accident that both the Adventists and the Witnesses used the same term, "pioneer colporteur." The Witnesses are an "offshoot" of the Adventists. I remember reading a history of religion in the U.S. Of course, the history spoke of the "Great Disappointment" that occured in the first part of the nineteenth century. The Millerites were anxiously awaiting the Second Coming and the new Millenium. Many quit their jobs and sold their property [Does this sound familiar?] Of course, the expected event never did come about, and most of the group disbanded. However, there was a gentleman who began to teach that the Lord had indeed arrived, only invisibly [Does this sound familiar?]. The Great Disappointment, and people's reactions to it, are well-documented. Also well-document is the close connection between Witnesses and the Adventists. The close doctrinal affinity between the two groups remains obvious even in our era; and this is a fact that neither group denies.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Because calling them "suckers" wouldn't help with the recruiting goals.

I certainly felt like a sucker when I auxed a few years back. Worst. Month. Ever.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Pioneer..Question Mark 3..What the hell does a JW Pioneer,pioneer?..LOL!!......I guess it`s better than calling them..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie
    *** w82 3/1 pp. 16-17 par. 4 Jehovah’s Valiant Army of Full-Time Fighters ***Why is "pioneer" an appropriate designation for Jehovah’s Witnesses who can be full-time preachers? The word originally had a military connotation, relating to a soldier, though not an ordinary foot soldier. It connoted a military engineer, one who preceded the main body and built bridges, roads and trenches. Hence, "to pioneer" came to mean to prepare or open the way, and a "pioneer" was one who took the lead, forging ahead in the face of odds or opposition, as the early settlers of the North American West did. The term suggests an individual who is intrepid, one who presses ahead until his goal is realized. What an apt description this is for those who are self-sacrificing "soldiers" of Christ Jesus full time!
  • MeneMene
    MeneMene
    The earliest WT reference I can find is 1928 as "Pioneer Colportuers"

I believe Colportuers was probably the more accurate name. Auld Soul did a thread on the meaning of Colportuers last year - http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/146495/1.ashx

": a peddler of books, especially of bibles and religious books and tracts; also : a missionary or publicist for some usually religious cause"

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    *** w82 3/1 pp. 16-17 par. 4 Jehovah’s Valiant Army of Full-Time Fighters ***Why is "pioneer" an appropriate designation for Jehovah’s Witnesses who can be full-time preachers? The word originally had a military connotation, relating to a soldier, though not an ordinary foot soldier. It connoted a military engineer, one who preceded the main body and built bridges, roads and trenches. Hence, "to pioneer" came to mean to prepare or open the way, and a "pioneer" was one who took the lead, forging ahead in the face of odds or opposition, as the early settlers of the North American West did. The term suggests an individual who is intrepid, one who presses ahead until his goal is realized. What an apt description this is for those who are self-sacrificing "soldiers" of Christ Jesus full time!

Funny thing about that....I have a game called "Company of Heroes." It's a WWII real-time strat game. You can play against the game in a non-campaign format as either the Axis or the Allies. The Allies have Engineers, and the Axis have Pioneers!!

alt

YA VOLDE, WATCHTOWER!!!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I have wondered if, in addition to the positive reference of "pioneers" in early American colonisation and conquest, there might not have been some indirect influence of the "youth pioneer" movements replacing scoutism in the U.S.S.R from 1922 onward (and later in other communist countries). At least it seems to have been a popular word in the 20's.

"Colporteur," otoh, was a common function since the 19th century in Bible Societies, whose structure was originally imitated by the WTBTS.

• Mum
    Mum

A few years ago, Robert DeNiro (I think that's the right actor) starred in a movie called The Apostle. After seeing that film, I began to wonder about the definition of the title word. I looked up "apostle" in my Funk and Wagnalls (or Webster's, perhaps), and the definition began with, "a pioneer." So I was thinking that "pioneer" might be a presumptuous designation, as the JW's who studied with me said there could be any number of disciples but only the original 12 apostles.

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit