The amazing intelligence of crows

by inkling 20 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

If you haven't already, check out this amazing video of some remarkably clever crows.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/joshua_klein_on_the_intelligence_of_crows.html

[inkling]

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

They are also remarkably edible.

http://www.crowbusters.com/

• oompa
    oompa

I liked all ten minutes of that and just yesterday unloaded 4 rounds from my 12 g mosburg off my deck at a screaming flock of them...no damage done........oompa

btw they were all in my trees and i was trying to grill....they were just awful

• Satanus
    Satanus

Give em jobs. Good idea. Some jobs for the birds (sorry): delivering mail, clean crap off sky scraper windows, bug control, drug delivery detection, air quality control. That should quiet them down a bit.

S

• Robdar
    Robdar

That video was awesome!

• parakeet
    parakeet

There's some debate as to which group of birds is smarter -- the crows or the parrots. Based on the video, I'd give the crows the edge. But African grey parrots can do some amazing things too. Google Irene Pepperberg and Alex the parrot and be prepared to be amazed.

Back to crows. A few years ago, just outside of Lancaster, PA, there was an area that attracted crows by the thousands -- warmth from nearby industries, food from adjacent farmers' fields, and plenty of trees for shelter. I used to love driving by in winter and see the trees "leafed" with crows.

Then someone in the city council decided the crows were a nuisance. They set poison out, the crows ate it, and many died. The city picked up the corpses at night to try to keep their cruelty clandestine, but it got into the news anyway. The poisoning stopped when enough people protested. But the crows were smart. Relatively few of them had to die before they got the message and took off for more friendly counties. They haven't come back. I miss them.

Now that it's illegal (for private citizens) to kill native bird species, crows seem to be getting the message. I never saw a crow close up when I was a kid and when farmers could still shoot them (the crows learned to keep just out of rifle range). Now they're in my back yard, on telephone wires, everywhere. I once fed a loaf of bread to a flock of them in a grocery store parking lot.

I love birds with attitude. They need it to get along with a species as egocentric as we are.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I bet they'll do a great job of eating the 6 billion dead bodies in the new system.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I bet they'll do a great job of eating the 6 billion dead bodies in the new system.

Burn eats crow. Crow eats Burn. The food chain is remarkably amazing!

• dinah
    dinah

One for sorrow

two for joy

How does that go?

• inkling
    inkling
    Burn eats crow. Crow eats Burn.

lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest