Ray Franz emailed me today

by Mickey mouse 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Sorry to name drop. I sent him a message a couple of months back. Just a short one to say thanks for writing his books and that they helped me a lot. He wrote a lovely long reply which he had obviously put a lot of effort into. Sounds like he and his wife Sylvia are really struggling with their health.

Here's a question: If I wrote a letter to any of the current governing body members, what chance would I have of receiving a personal reply?

Mickey.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I also got a long email from Ray that I haven't responded to yet... He made excellent points which I shared with my JW parents...

If you send a letter to the GB today you will probably get no response. If you ask an important enough question, you will get an anonymous letter back with some initials like: SBB:SAC (The first set indicating whose office sent the letter, the second one indicating the secretary code). I doubt you would get a personal response unless the GB member already knows you well...

IMHO... A@G

• Mickey mouse
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Me too, he is a kind old man indeed. I only have good wishes for him.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Of all the governing body I reckon the most likely to respond would be Jack Barr. But then he is very old now, and kept busy. Not to make excuses for them, but I don't think it is because they are necessarily bad people that they wouldn't respond.

Hypothetical question: would Ray Franz have responded to such letters in the 1970s while he was still on the governing body? I don't know. And I don't say that to diminish him.

As I say I have only kind thoughts for him because he is such a generous person with his time in responding to people.

• oompa
    oompa

I wrote them directly....they did not want to lie to me directly...so they wrote the lie to my elders who had to read the lie to me...would not let me see the letter...spooky......oompa

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Mickey:

I have been exchanging emails with Ray since December. At that moment, I had a terrible depression, and I didn't know what I was going to do with my life. As you mentioned, he took the time to read my letter, and to answer to me, using lots of bible verses in order to help me not to lose my faith in God. I will be eternally grateful for his message and his support.

It's incredible how the "world's biggest apostate", showed interest in my situation, and helped me in a kind and loving way... Completely different to the attitude of my wife's family members (all JW's), who started shunning us just because we let 1 family member know about some doubts that we had...

I will be visiting Ray and Cynthia in the near future, so I will post more information soon.

Here's a question: If I wrote a letter to any of the current governing body members, what chance would I have of receiving a personal reply?

I really doubt it. You will receive a letter from a department, telling you to go to your Elders, who will help you to "heal spiritually"... Whatever that means...

TTRP

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

When did Ray Franz leave WTS? I remember him from back in the very early 70s. I'm sure he spoke at a convention that I was at. Everyone was so excited that he was there.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Scarred,

I sugest that you read his book, Crisis of Conscience... a very nicely written tell all about his experiences and exit from the GB late 70's early 80's. He was DFd in 1981 for eating klunch with his DAd boss and landlord..

A@G

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    When did Ray Franz leave WTS?

I think the correct term is: the WTS left him. Booted him to the curb in the very early 80's.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit