Any athiest tried a Ouji Board?

by Marilyn 68 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Marilyn,

I've never tried a Oujia board, but did purchase a set of 'runes' and a book. It was pretty silly imo and am returning them. No supernatural stuff to it though.

I think Seeker sums it up well--the possibility of unexplained phenomenon doesn't have to be demons in the biblical sense.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." --Carl Sagan

Cheers!
    Pat

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Why buy a board? Apparantly it will work even if you make it yourself. Get a piece of paper and write all the letters out, then cut out a little triangle shaped mover thingymabop and giver a go!

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I guess you could say I'm agnostic.
    I tried the ouji board once recently with two other people.
    Absolutly nothing happened.
    Never have experienced anything and don't believe it ever will.I know others have had some sort of experiences but I just believe the mind is a very powerful thing.
    I also mirror Seekers feelings on the matter.
    I've done just about everything the society says will bring the demons into your life and the silence is deafening.

Pat
    We also played with the runes and enjoyed them very much.So much in fact that I just bought a set with a book also.
    I will be keeping mine.

Ranchette

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Ouija boards display words the user is subconsciously thinking of, not words a supernatural agent wishes us to read.

The Ouija board "works" through subconscious (involuntary) muscle movements initiated by autosuggestion. A similar effect is found in "facilitated communication" by autistic children.

In facilitated communication a "facilitator" holds the hand of an autistic partner who types messages on a keyboard. What's really going on, however, is that the facilitators are unwittingly controlling the partners' typing.

The board won't "work" if the user of the Ouija board is blindfolded and the board is then twisted into a non-standard position.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• Seeker
    Seeker
    The board won't "work" if the user of the Ouija board is blindfolded and the board is then twisted into a non-standard position.

LOL, yeah that sounds about par for the course in these matters. I guess the demons get confused when you do that.

It is a silly concept, isn't it? That the demons are just waiting to pounce on us, but are held back until we pull out a piece of cardboard manufactured at a game factory and use it to say, "OK, now you can attack me." Fairly impotent spirit forces, I'd say. If I were a demon, I sure wouldn't waste my time hanging around until somebody brought back a smurf doll from a garage sale. I'd be attacking anyone and everyone I felt like.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Joseph,

This is a very interesting explanation but if this is true does this mean that my subconscious mind was empty when we were playing with the board?

Ranchette

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Seeker

I'd be happy to give it a try, and would expect nothing. Tell me, those of you who have done it, what do you have to do? Just pull out the board and the pointer and put your finger on the pointer and wait? Or is there more?

I dont think It'd work for me either. But there seems to be so many people I know who say they have been conversing with the dead!?!

Apparently all you have to do is turn the lights off, light a few candles...put all the letters of the alphabet in a circle and then put a glass in the middle. Then all the people put their finger on the glass and then some-one says "Spirits, are you there...is any one there from the otherside"...and then you try not to laugh.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

How interesting Joseph, I was thinking that if you got a group of Chinese who knew nothing about Christianity and you asked them to play it, it wouldn't work either!!
    thanx for your insights

Marilyn
    seeker I asked edward on chat about the child that died. He said the child was real sick and it wasn't much of a prediction. Interesting in light of Josephs comments

• target
    target

Joseph:
    And do you know this from personal experience? Yea, right.
    When my husband and I were using it and a teenage neighbor we had just met asked us to ask the board his middle name. Now just how do you figure this is something we knew and our "involuntary movements" spelled it out? His name was Elwood. Neither of us had ever heard the name before but the board spelled it out. It also told us about a murder that would happen the following day. Names and dates. It all happened just as the board said. Yep, no doubt just all our involuntary movements.

Target
    PS No, I am not an athiest.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Told youabout a murder did it? Well since it had already told you the person's middle name and you KNEW it worked, why didn't you warn the person who was killed? Interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit