The Bible Dinosaur

by Devilsnok 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

Anyone remember the picture of the dinosaur that used to be on the inside cover of the green bible? Has anyone got a scan / picture of it please?

Matt

• Mary
    Mary

Why yes I do! I'll see if I can track it down and scan it for you.

(missed ya!)

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

Cheers darling

• Fadeout
  • Mary
    Mary

OK, Fadeout beat me to it...........

• james_woods
    james_woods

This was certainly one of the few fun things about the 60-70 JW cult.

There were very few children's bibles that were not modified to make this peaceful cute guy into a fire-breathing Godzilla with a backplane of plates and spikes.

I always wondered why in the world somebody got away with putting this into the cover art? Dinosaurs are after all, kind of embarrasing for the JWs to explain, given their theory of a 49,000 year old earth and all.

Wonder if some progressive artist thougt that this would somehow make the message seem more palatable to people who believed in science and geology?

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

As late as 1973 the WT allowed for the possibility that man and dinosaurs coexisted until the Flood.

July 15 1973 QFR:

When did God create dinosaurs, and when did they become extinct?—U.S.A.The Bible does not provide specific answers to this question. According to the Genesis account, animals were created during the fifth and sixth creative periods or ‘days.’ If the Hebrew expression translated "great sea monsters" [Hebrew, tan·ni·nim´] includes dinosaurs, which often inhabited swampy, watery areas, this would mean that dinosaurs were created on the fifth "day." (Gen. 1:21) We do not know whether they continued to exist until man was created (toward the close of the sixth "day"). At the very latest it seems likely that they must have disappeared off the earth at the time of the flood of Noah’s day. Dinosaurs were reptiles, and some kinds of dinosaurs bear strong resemblance structurally and otherwise to lizards (sauros is, in fact, the Greek word for "lizard"; saura in Leviticus 11:29, LXX). Not all types of dinosaurs were of such gigantic size. Hence, even if they had survived till the Flood, this would not have required taking pairs of the mammoth varieties into the ark. Other smaller members of the particular family or "kind" to which these belonged would have sufficed to fulfill the divine command.—Gen. 6:19, 20; 7:14.

Some of the older translations of the Bible at times use the word "dragons" to translate the Hebrew tan·ni·nim´ ("sea monsters," NW). (Ps. 74:13; 148:7; Isa. 27:1, AuthorizedVersion) The term "dragon" (Greek, dra´kon) is found in the Christian Greek Scriptures. It has been suggested as possible that, rather than having a purely mythical source, this expression may originally have been applied to enormous creatures such as the dinosaurs, taking on mythical tones only after these mammoth creatures had long disappeared. Interestingly, many of the mythical depictions of the "dragon" strongly resemble certain types within the family of huge reptilian creatures that includes the dinosaur.

Note that the WT specifically allows for the coexistence of the enormous dinosaurs with man, to account for the dragon myths.

The insertion of a dinosaur on the map alongside ancient humans, to me, is a statement of doctrine, one which flew in the face of the hated scientific community and affirmed their own funky belief.

• Mary
    Mary

The funny thing is: subconsciously, alot of Witnesses realize that something's not adding up. I remember when me and a couple of others from the Hall took some of the kids to see Jurrasic Park when it first came out. They were thrilled with it and the one sister who was driving smuggly pointed out how much "smarter" Witness kids were for "knowing" that dinosaurs were 'created on the fifth day'. I said to the kids in the car (who hadn't heard what she said) "...hey guys, do you know how long ago the dinosaurs lived?"

In unison, they all replied "65 million years ago!!!"

It appears that a two hour movie CAN erase years of brainwashing after all.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I didn't know Carthage used to be inhabited with dinosaurs.

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

That dino brings back memories!! A few kids would add a motorcyle or bike to dino. Hilarious! One kid drew a top hat and added a cane to the dinosaur. They probably went on to be cartoonists.

Meow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit