Any athiests here had a demon experience?

by Marilyn 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I've made friends with a Mormon lady, and she told me that her 14yo daughter has thrown out all four Harry Potter books because she's realised they are dabbling in and encouraging demons. Then she told me about her demon experiences herself. Has any exjw, of sound mind, had a proper demon experience (as opposed to improper!!)? More to the point has any athiest here ever had a demon experience?

Marilyn

• Bang
    Bang

I'm not an athiest, but sometimes I want things I shouldn't have.
    Oh, and some JWs knocked on my door.

Bang

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Marilyn,

I'm an atheist, and I have not ever had a demon experience, not even during the 20-odd years I was an active Dub.

I think this is because I seek rational, logical and uncomplicated explanations for any difficulties I experience.

For example, if I'm driving somewhere and the traffic light turns red, I know that it is because the timing circuit built into the traffic light made it turn red, not because demons inside the box were trying to make me late for an appointment.

If I get ill, its because of microscopic virii or bacteria, not because of demons or spells.

When I win my state lottery for the fourth time, that's becasue I'm an exemplary human being in perfect harmony with the cosmos and I deserve undreamed of wealth.

When I hear unexpected voices or moaning and sobbing and shrieking during the night, it's because once again I didn't bind those darned hitchikers well enough.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

It's just that I have a theory that non spiritual people do not have demon experiences. Based on a research group of 1, so far. Me!!

Marilyn

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    More to the point has any athiest here ever had a demon experience?

I did, but they were while I was religious and believed in such things. Since I became an atheist, I have had none.

Makes sense, since such experiences are often dependent on one's interpretation of events.

Oops, there was one "demonic" experience since I was an atheist. A headless man stood by my bed once. I immediately recognized it as caused by a sleep state, and thought the experience was really cool. The man seemed very real.

Marilyn, have you had any? I suspect you have very interesting sleep states.

Richard

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Marilyn,

I think i'm an atheist, have never had a demon experience, not even in 28 yrs as a JW. I used to think even as a JW how ignorant and superstitious it sounded to even talk as tho it was real. Now, I still do.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." --Carl Sagan

Pat

• zerubberballz
    zerubberballz

Harry potter .. wow, heavy stuff .. i hear Alister Crowley snoring in his crypt.

===Has any exjw, of sound mind, had a proper demon experience (as opposed to improper!!)?===

mmm exjw of sound mind? where's the logic fallacy in this sentence? ;)

===More to the point has any athiest here ever had a demon experience?===

Well Marilyn, I'm not one to knock a mans religion, i mean an athiest is entitled to her beliefs as much as any other wader through spiritual fog. To me, black and white revisionists have as much right to their say as tea total totalitarianist methodists, but i do suspect if an athiest had some real experience of the spirit world their sceptism would evaporate up blind faith alley quicker than a bloke can say 'true science' as it did to this, once atheistic, agnostic taoist.

cheers, unc who's yet to find many athiests amoungst the great men of science.

"extraudinary experiences require nothing but to live" unclebruce.

• JanH
    JanH

None whatsoever, neither as a dub, a 'normal' xtian nor as an atheist.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((mar)))))))
    Nope never had one as a dub,or as an atheist. I agree w/ Natahns explanation of seeking answers in the rational and logical,not w/ magical thinking.Tina

Jesse jackson,Jim bakker and Jimmy swaggart have written an impressive new book-it's called"Ministers do More Than Lay People"

• Si
    Si

In my experience (of others) non-christian cultures/people who have a specific belief system - eg shamanism etc. do indeed have experiences that are para-normal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit