Dogs in field service

by keyser soze 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Oh my, I have a TON of dog field service stories . . . I went out in service in the Virgin Islands, Northern Territory of Australia and several rural territories in North Texas. Dogs everywhere. I love 'em, though, and most of the ones I met could tell that and were friendly. I was pretty good at spotting the ones that weren't and that's why I had a nice stout bookbag to protect my calves, ankles and generally use as a shield.

One of my favorite stories is the day my dad and I, with an older Witness lady and her son, were working a rural territory in Wilmer Hutchins (south of Dallas). We drove up the dirt driveway and Dad and the other guy got out of the car to talk to the householder. The older lady was in the back seat with me and she was looking out her window at a field with horses. The householder's German shepherd came up to my side of the car and put his paws up and I started petting him. He leaned farther and farther in and then finally did a graceful leap through the car window and landed in my lap. Well, the poor older sister was scared of dogs . . . oops. She turned her head at the sudden movement in the car and found herself about one inch away from the dog, who cheerfully gave her a lick on the mouth in greeting. She started screaming, the dog tried to back up but couldn't because he was in the back seat, and I almost wet myself laughing. My dad said the car was shaking violently and the dog's tail was sticking out the back window.

Nina

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

The whole ripping the throat of the dog out thing probably stemmed from what happened to a friend of mine in field service. Of course, it was nowhere near as spectacular...and he was a WW2 Navy vet and this happened at least in the 1970's. He was a co-worker and one of the only elders I've ever truly respected and though that he lived by what he preached and he was no unreasonable fanatic...

anyhow...he's going door to door in the semi-rural area south of St. Louis, MO. He goes to this door and around the corner comes this little ankle biting chihuahua barking it's freaking head off. Now my friend, Bob, has just knocked on the door and, being a little hard of hearing is having a hard time listening for the tell tale sounds of a householder scurrying towards the door. The dog is still standing on the top step in front of the door barking its fool head off and snapping at Bob. So, Bob reaches down and flicks the dog right on the snout. For no explainable reason, the little rat dog drops like a stone. He's dead as a hammer. Bob is looking around and seeing no one around, stuffs the little canine corpse into his bookbag for later disposal. True story...no embelishments. He laughed and laughed at it. He said the funniest thing was the look on his wife's face.

As for me, my only dog story was a stupid cocker spaniel that came out of a garage barking at me. He charged and bit the back of my ankle...not enough to break the skin. As he turned and started to charge me again, I decided I wasn't going to just stand there....so just as my foot was going to connect with the dog's head at a high rate of speed, here comes the householder to see what in the hell her dog is going nuts about. Needless to say, I didn't really give my spiel...I just got the hell out of there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit