Dogs in field service

by keyser soze 21 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The thread about angels in the ministry reminded me of this. There was a lot of rural territory in the congregation that I attended, which meant a lot of houses with dogs out running loose. Some of these dogs were fairly vicious. There were two separate incidents of sisters getting attacked and bitten. In both cases, they saw the dog, and it appeared to be vicious, but the sisters believed that since they were out in the ministry, doing Jehovah's work, that the angels would protect them.

I know there's nothing funny about being attacked by an animal, but there does seem to be a comical irony in this.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    There were two separate incidents of sisters getting attacked and bitten. In both cases, they saw the dog, and it appeared to be vicious, but the sisters believed that since they were out in the ministry, doing Jehovah's work, that the angels would protect them.

Those dogbite incidents illustrate the danger of JW urban legends which give people a false sense of security. These legends often include miraculous deliverance, and certain ones among the JW's buy into it and think Jehoober is going to swat away any danger when they're out counting field service time.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

In 1969, I was attacked by a CAT in field service! A Siamese just plastered himself on my chest and left hand. It was not pleasant, and I was not protected by angels!

I got the last laugh, though, as the cat was spayed because of the incident!

This reminds me also of another JW urban legend, several versions of which I have heard. The story goes that two JWs go to the door, the householder is pissed and holding back a vicious dog. He threatens to unleash the dog if they don't leave. The second bro, who in most of the stories I heard, is described as an ex-military guy, a new JW and learned to handle dogs in the military, then pipes up and tells the hh that they will leave, but don't release the dog on them or he will kill the dog. The hh then releases the dog and the ex-military bro kills it with a single blow.

I know this story is bullshit, as I've heard from cops who work K-9 that there is no way any man or woman can protect themselves from an attacking dog with some sort of blow or martial arts.

Anyone else ever hear this JW myth?

S4

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I wonder if any blind people use guide dogs in service.

Also, a dyslexic JW may conclude they are being attacked by gods.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I feared no dog or any other animal out in service, I knew Jah had my back.

I remember many times the fearful adults would stay safely in the car, but since i didn't mind, they would send me to the door by myself, even when I was only 7 or 8 years old.

I guess they didn't beleive in Jah as much as I did.

Dogs tend to respect you if you have confidence........thats what protected me, not my imaginary Daddy in the sky.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Seeker4, I heard that story as a teenager in Lousiana. The version I heard said that as the dog (a doberman) leaped to attack the bros, ex-militaryDub reached out and grabbed his throat and ripped it out as the dog was in mid-lunge.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There was one territory we called the dog territory. No one wanted it because as soon as u would start walking down the block, a chorus of barking would begin and people would look out their windows, and the front doors would begin to close. It was a guaranteed not at home every time

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Those dogbite incidents illustrate the danger of JW urban legends which give people a false sense of security. These legends often include miraculous deliverance, and certain ones among the JW's buy into it and think Jehoober is going to swat away any danger when they're out counting field service time.

I agree and I remember hearing all kinds of myths like this when I was younger and I would never put them to the test. I remember on time when I was about 14 years old and I was out in FS with this middle age pioneer woman. We were at this house that you can tell nobody was home and if there were they probably were sleeping. I knock very lightly and the pioneer said to me that I should always knock loud and at least three times. I ask why because I told her it was obvious that no one was there and if some one was they probably did not want to be bother. She told me about this guy who was going to hang himself but a JW at the door insisted on knocking and the guy opened the door and was saved. I said to her I doubt that there is a suicidal person behind every door.

This reminds me also of another JW urban legend, several versions of which I have heard. The story goes that two JWs go to the door, the householder is pissed and holding back a vicious dog. He threatens to unleash the dog if they don't leave. The second bro, who in most of the stories I heard, is described as an ex-military guy, a new JW and learned to handle dogs in the military, then pipes up and tells the hh that they will leave, but don't release the dog on them or he will kill the dog. The hh then releases the dog and the ex-military bro kills it with a single blow.

I remember that one.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    There was one territory we called the dog territory. No one wanted it because as soon as u would start walking down the block, a chorus of barking would begin and people would look out their windows, and the front doors would begin to close. It was a guaranteed not at home every time

I would've happily volunteered to work it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was still part of the collective at the time. I wanted to produce a bible study.

I've heard a number of urban legends as well. There was on about a sister who was in service working by herself. She came to the door and the person inside was a convict or something. I forgot the details but he did not attck her and later on stated the reason why was that the sister had these two large guys next to her, (although she was in fact alone). Some sort of angelic intervention story

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit