Any Dave Matthews Band Fans ?? Your favorite CD's or Songs by Him ??

by flipper 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I'm going to waste my one post a day allowed me by Simon to say I hate Dave Mathews more than almost any other musician alive or dead. Other than having an amazing drummer, Carter Buford, I hate his pretentious made-up voice/singing style. Furthermore he is along side Kenny G, Yanni, Jouney and Celine Dion in terms of defing one as a passe' yuppie that turns anything cool into instantly not cool with their liking of a thing, as pretentious as that might seem. He is luke warm and makes me want to puke. Then, if that wasn't bad enough, every other male singer out there these days (still 15 yrs after the fact!) is imitating Dave Matthews, most notably Cold Play, who you can add to the above list.

• Confession
    Confession

Freaky hell, I can't believe Shawn is my friend... He is, no doubt, high on something as he writes his review of DMB. When I visit him next month I'm going to force feed him with all the DMB in my i-Pod.

As you can see from my avatar, Dave Matthews Band is a favorite of mine. When I was still working in radio, I filled in on-air at one of our stations and found myself playing "Ants Are Marching" from their "Under the Table and Dreaming" album. I didn't get it; didn't think much of it. It wasn't until their album, "Crash," that I caught on. True, it didn't seem like the music I liked to identify myself with before. But, despite finding it difficult to categorize, I became a fan. To me, in addition to having superb musicians in the band, I find their music very...free and passionate. That may not be what you like. Fine. It's what I like. It's non-judgmental, smiling, partying and free... It's what I like to blast through my outdoor speaker system when I'm swimming in my pool on a nice, warm, moonlit Phoenix night. Something strong on the rocks--or a glass of red wine, maybe a nice cigar--and Dave Matthews--accompanied by the free-flowing sounds of my pool's natural-rock waterfall.

I like nearly everything they've put out--including all the live albums. Instead of trying to identify all of my favorites, I'll just list the songs I put onto a CD for my babe-a-licious, Kenyan girlfriend a few weeks ago... Crush, Bartender, Say Goodbye, Grey Street, I Let You Down, Two Step, #36, The Maker, Dancing Nancies, Crash Into Me, and Lover Lay Down. I also love to hear their latest live rendition of All Along the Watchtower.

I've seen them live twice. I must do it again.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If you have't seen this darling and soulful movie, and if you're a D M fan, then you should. Here's a taste of his wonderful role, Otis, in the movie. Because Of Winn Dixie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_As01jSAw

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Dave Matthews is funny for me because I only like his slow songs (like "Crash"). I hate his fast ones (like "Ants Marching").

• Dagney
    Dagney

"Crash Into Me" makes me weak.

• flipper
    flipper

LISAOBEEMA- I am envious of you getting to see your first Dave Matthews concert ! Wish I could come ! My wife and I will have to go see them out in California sometime !

MOREISBETTER- So Dave Matthews band was your first concert ? Nice ! Must have been exciting ! Glad you still have the t-shirt.

SASS MY FRASS- Futurama ? Was that a movie ?

SHAWN 10538- Hey guy - different strokes for different folks , no problem . We all have our different
    tastes.

CONFESSION- I agree with you They really are a great band ! I need to go see them sometime when their hear here in California . Very interesting , Peace out, Mr.Flipper

• Hope4Others
  • flipper
    flipper

FLYING HIGH NOW- Thanks for the U-tube, I'll watch it !

JIMMY PAGE- I agree he does do a good job on the slow songs. Just a good songwriter too, as well as performer.

DAGNEY- Crash into Me is a great song. Very romantic.

HOPE 4 OTHERS- The Space Between is a very thought provoking song which makes a person think seriously about relationships and has very meaningful lyrics ! Thanks for the U-tube ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• marmot
    marmot

I used to be a huge DMB fan, I've seen them in concert 6 times, but for some reason my musical taste has drifted. I'll still pop in a CD once in a while, but that time in my life has passed.

• buckster
    buckster

Favorite songs:

You might die trying

Bartender.....CORNBREAD!

Most of his songs.

Going to the concert at the Staples center in October.

Went to the Hollywood Bowl show last year.

What a great group of fans. People just diggin' the tunes and chilllin' together like we knew each other or something. Great time. The wife and I love DMB. For the best shot and prices for tickets join the DMB fan club. The cost of membership really pans out on the ticket prices and quality of seating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit