mental health

by martinwellborne 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• changeling
    changeling
    She told me i had deconsructed my world having left the witnesses

Wow! What a great way to put it! I think she hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what we go through when we leave the WT.

To me, putting feelings into words is helpful. I can look at the words and let their meaning sink in. Once they do, I am better able to move on.

I commend you for seeking professional help. So many people don't and are the worse for it.

Anti-d's take a while to kick in. That's normal. I'm glad you are finally feeling better.

Keep up the good work!

changeling :)

• changeling
    changeling

Oops, just read part 2...

You think they have the "truth"? Darlin, dig deeper. They are no more the "truth" than any other religion.

You are suffering from guilt. Once you get over that, you'll be OK.

changeling :)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi, I'm really glad that the ADs are working for you now, they take about a month to kick in, so hopefully you'll find some stability now. I'm not a professional, I'm just another ex-JW who has been depressed, so take my opinion in that light. I was on ADs for I think nearly two years and it often felt like they weren't doing much, I often just felt 'normal', so I suppose that without them I would have been far from normal. I decided I was going to be very kind to myself and also that I'd do a lot of fun healthy stuff, because I consider fun a part of joy, which is a part of engagement, which is a part of fulfillment, which is a part of happiness. I started with having fun; I made deliberate efforts to avoid the intense which is my preference. Comedy movies only. Funny books only. Fun people only (to the extent possible). I took up skiing, did more SCUBA, bought a motorbike. I took up fun. It's possible to do that without becoming shallow.

It was the first step for me, I think I'm still only around step two. I still have to Let Go, you know, of the witness experience. That's probably years away. It is also able to jump right back into your life anytime it wants - I was getting used to the idea of my beloved siblings growing old and dying happy without me, but now my sister has some pretty bad cancer going on, and that's made everything ugly fresh again. I've gotten a prescription for ADs again, I'm going to leave it for a month or two, the time it will take to find out how the chemo is going, but I think I'll need them again for a little while.

In the meantime I'm getting back into fun - got a New Zealand holiday in a few weeks, which is frankly the greatest place on earth. I'm taking it easy on myself. I suggest you show yourself the utmost care, love and respect for some time. This bad time, it's going to be history one day. We just have to find our way through. You'll make it.

• StAnn
    StAnn

MW, If you really want to settle once and for all whether or not the WTS is "The Truth," I recommend you read Don Cameron's book, Captives of a Concept. He takes a completely different approach to the WTS than most other apologists do. I was shocked and stunned and very enlightened, even many, many years after leaving the WTS.

Keep in mind that you didn't turn your back on God. The WTS took the Bible and took Christianity and twisted it and perverted it into something unrecognizable and told you it was from God. The WTS are the real apostates. You didn't turn your back on God. You turned your back on a group that did everything in its power to try to keep you from finding God because they wanted you immersed in what they taught, not what God taught, to line their pockets.

Keep on in your search for God. If your only experience has been the WT, you haven't fully found him yet.

And you're not crazy. The depression, anxiety, breakdown is all too common amongst ex-JWs. It will pass. Keep up your therapy and your medication until you can stand on your own two feet. It takes time. My heart goes out to you. I've been where you are.

StAnn

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree with alot of the good advice given here. Especially to stick with the meds and the therapist. Different stages of healing are ahead of u. I personally went through a long anger stage where anything that upset me turned into a rant about the Society.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I can't add anything to the great advice and links that have already been posted, but just wanted to say I'm glad you're feeling better on the meds, and the counseling will help too. Stick with it.

You have done the right thing, but the journey is still in process.

Strength and healing to you. We'll be here when you need to vent.

Love,
    Baba.

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

Hi, And many thanks to you all for your replies. I suppose time is the healer as many of you have said here. MW.

• buckster
    buckster

It took me 18 years or so to get to a therapist. One of the best things that I have ever done for myself and my family. I wish that I had done it long before that. You are doing a good thing.

Hang in there. It is not easy to purge the mindset that was instilled. Fear and anxiety was the tool that was used to shape us into the follower that we were. Escaping is all about that battle. It is an escape.

Therapy worked great for me. I still battle with anxiety. I have arrived at an herbal mixture that works well for me in harsher times and my therapist said the choices were good alternatives if they seemed to take the edge off my extreme moments.

The meds are cool just make sure you follow the Doc's instructions.

Do your own research not just on the witnesses but definitely dive into the bible itself and be the Berean. Use different translations. Research what others believe not to adopt the beliefs but to understand how you have been taught how to percieve and what the reality of that actually is.

You are not alone. Many are with you.

• Synergy
    Synergy

You're getting a lot of people tell you that you're not alone and to add to that I'm gonna say the same thing. Soooo many people feel this way. I was on so many Rx when I left and for about two years after. I dug and searched for God and finally found him and now worship in a way that is true for me and my family. You will find that too. You can overcome the guilt, the anxiety, the grief from the loss. It still hurts sometimes when I have family ties still in and they mistreat me but I really have found loved ones on the outside. Please never give up. Never stop believing. Always know that you are not alone. You're not the first and you wont be the last. You will be able to help others that come after you.

Blessings to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit