Bluegrass fading

by hobbitLore 19 Replies latest jw friends

• hobbitLore
    hobbitLore

Not the actual bluegrass here in Kentucky, just a family here that have decided to stop being part of Jehovah's Witnesses.

My wife and I were both raised in the organization and it is still a difficult journey for us. Her family is still active and that makes it tough for us to go quietly. FIL is an elder and my wife was very close to him. I say was close, because he showed his true colors when my wife told him we were no longer going to the meetings. Very cold, impersonal comments with the veiled threat of death at Armageddon for our three children. Silver lining is this opened her eyes more than anything I cold show or tell her. So now we are doing our best to keep a low profile from the congregation and encourage our kids to become life long learners in a *real* sense.

My background - Mom joined the organization when I was 2 years old, so I never new anything different. Dad joined a year later, then stopped going when I was 7 or 8. So Mom did her best as a single mother with three kids. I got baptized at 14, a know it all punk who thought he had all the answers. Made it through high school with good marks and shoved aside college for pioneering. Thankfully, my school guidance counselor had the sense to explain my situation to the university and they agreed to hold a scholarship for me. As many young witnesses do, I got married at a young age after that first year of pioneering. I decided to take advantage of my scholarship and go to school so I could support my family. That family decided to leave before two years were up. While still in college I met my wife at a quick build, we got married and I finished school and moved to our current city. We got settled and started a family. I did my best to be active in the congregation and support my wife.

Then, a year or so ago doubts started. I think the things that hit me the hardest were the teaching about animals before the fall all being herbivorous and the teachings that go with the Noachian flood. Things I believed did not match things I knew. I slowed my activity in the hall, and my wife and I started to become distant. I opened up to her how I feel, and gradually shared things I saw with her. Our relationship became closer than ever. She started to question things and an elder and a sister at the hall started pushing her to give up on me. This all culminated in March when we decided as a couple we do not want our children raised in this.

I have rambled on here with my story, it probably doesn't make much sense spilling out in a train of jumbled thoughts. We are adjusting to our new life. Getting active in our kids school and extra-curricular activities helps. I appreciate reading experiences on this board.

hobbitLore

Edit: to add some formatting to the blob of text

• JK666
    JK666

hL,

Welcome to JWD!

Many here have had an awakening of the educational variety such as yours. I look forward to further posts from you, and maybe your wife someday.

JK

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I have rambled on here with my story, it probably doesn't make much sense spilling out in a train of jumbled thoughts.

No, your story makes perfect sense, It is told here over and over and over again. Welcome to JWD!

• hobbitLore
    hobbitLore

Thank you for the welcome, JK and jamie. hobbitLore

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome!

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Welcome to JWD. Enjoy your new found freedom.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Welcome, Bluegrass fading!

Like you, our family more or less awoke all at the same time - we have been very fortunate in that regard. It is so good to hear that you and your wife are on the same page, and your children will not be subjected to this indoctrination. Some of our extended family is still in, but we have limited contact so all has gone well, so far.

Life just seems to get richer, once the mind numbing meetings are no longer part of the weekly grind. Very good to hear your story.

• Casper
    Casper

Welcome to JWD... Hobbit & hopefully Mrs. Hobbit, someday...

Glad to have you join us, you will enjoy it here....

I say was close, because he showed his true colors when my wife told him we were no longer going to the meetings. Very cold, impersonal comments with the veiled threat of death at Armageddon for our three children. Silver lining is this opened her eyes more than anything I cold show or tell her. So now we are doing our best to keep a low profile from the congregation and encourage our kids to become life long learners in a *real* sense.

Glad you both could see thru the veiled threat....

Cas

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Welcome to the forum, and it's very good that you both managed to free yourselves. Enjoy. :)

• amicus
    amicus
    Not the actual bluegrass here in Kentucky

Well, after being sucked in thinking we were going to discuss Bluegrass music...I enjoyed the read.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and welcome to JWD.

I hope you enjoy the diverse, interesting folks here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit