Are you a HOPE-er or a DO-er?

by Terry 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• changeling
    changeling

I agree with John Doe. Hope comes first, action second. Of course, there are those who stop at hope. I'm not one of those.

changeling :)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

John and Burn say it well. Everything begins with vision; hope is the fuel that powers action.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    1. I can complain about it
    3.I can HOPE.

What is hope if not a passive sort of complaint?

• oddpotter
    oddpotter

set goals make a plan Do!

• Terry
    Terry
    Doing" is the motive force, but "hoping" is a potent catalyst. Lack of hope breeds apathy. I like the Henry Ford quote, probably overused: "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right."

I think we, as a species shoot hope into our veins like a junkie and confuse the thrill of our high with an actual accomplishment.

People get drunk on faith and ride it like a bucking bull in a country western bar. Afterward, it feels just like they've done something really special.

Faith, hope and conviction are unavoidable when you have a positive mental attitude backed by careful planning and enough resources to see you through. But, detached from a mapped out course of action.....they are whispers in the dark and a whistled tune in a graveyard.

Attitude isn't the engine the turns the propeller and hope and belief aren't the wings that lift the airship off the landing strip. It is the engineering and the manufacturing and the pilot know-how that makes it all possible.

Crossing the T's and dotting the I's and doing your homework are first in the mix.

Then comes that self-assured smile reflecting the inner certainty which is greater than mere "hope."

• Terry
    Terry
    You can't water your unplanted garden with hope and grow a crop of anything but dirt and weeds.

Talk about a blanket statement!

How well is your garden growing?

So then, you're saying you can water an unplanted garded and get more than dirt and weeds?

• Terry
    Terry
    If it's a cloudy day, I hope for sun but bring an umbrella just in case

My uncle use to say, "Hope for the best and expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed!"

• Terry
    Terry

As Martin Luther King Jr put it..."If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream."

One must never stop dreaming~

Of the two (hope or courage) I'll choose courage because it takes courage to hope. MLK had courage and he backed up his talk with his walk.

Jesse Jackson gave his "keep hope alive" speech and then turned around and became the opposite of King by peddling the politics of envy and victimhood.

Of the two (MLK or JJ) I'll take MLK.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Terry, you're relating hope to inaction. I'm not sure that's a valid relation.

• Terry
    Terry

Being a JW fills a person with negative self-talk and negative expectations. The only way to overcome these memes and engrams is to purposely seek repeated doses of positive counter programming. Thus, many of the items offered by Nightingale-Conant can be very helpful. I have enjoyed my auditory association with Earle Nightingale, Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, John Cummuta, and Napoleon Hill, among others. It sure beats reading THE WATCHTOWER!

JW's destroy "self". Rebuilding self and developing your talents, virtues, strengths and abilities creates confidence in self. Practicing your values and achieving your goals gives you esteem for your self.

I think the self-development has to be connected to the mantras or you jeopardize the reality of your self-merit when the rubber meets the road.

It is hard to believe any organization like JW's could put a cork in your bottle, Nathan! I look at all the books you've been able to make available and I see a very focused and determined individual!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit