People who make the truth EXCITING!

by slimboyfat 79 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

I'll have to say that to those outside the group, the term, "the truth" implicitly has one heck of a presumptuous, holier-than-thou, everyone-is-worthless-but-us ring to it. Before I really understood the lingo, an elder's wife, assuming I was an "interested one" asked me if any of my family was "in the truth". I couldn't tell you how much that ticked me off. It rather forced me into a position of either protesting her use of language or going along with it and affirming that all members of my beloved family are dopes.

Surely you must have learned a bit about relating to your audience in the TMS or out in the ministry? :)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Bump for zakharijah.

I wrote this thread round about the exact same time you moved to Scotland.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Sounds like you are being seduced all over again. Is that even possible??

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

This thread was 5 years ago... it is actually still relevant? DID you go back SlimBoy?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I hardly ever go to meetings these days.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

slimboyfat >> . . . out of curiosity,

what ever happened with the couple that returned to your congregation, who used to be special pioneers there twenty five years ago?

Is their spirit for "the truth" still fervent? Or did it (they) expire?

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Ah 5 year iold thread! My apologies. (warning still stands)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The couple are still going strong as far as I can tell. (I don't see them often because I don't go to the meetings often) I was perhaps viewing them through "rose tinted" glasses when I first wrote the thread. They are good people, but they are not quite the JW superheroes I initially imagined them to be. They have had limited success in getting many more people along to the hall, so they are not as successful now as they reputedly were in the 1970s and 1980s at getting new ones into the truth. Buy yeah, they are generally still living the 'JW dream', as it were.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I went back and started from page one. It was and is an interesting thread.

I thought most people kept their cool as did you as they questioned and challenged your shifting point of view. It is evident that the most intense struggle getting away from the truth was centered more in the people then the ever changing doctrines. I think that's true for most of us. Family and friends are the headwinds we have to learn to deal with when we stop accepting the WT dogma.

'Tacking into the wind' is a good metaphor for how many of us made progress going forward when confronting strong head winds.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I think those that wake up and escape are the only thing the makes 'the truth' exciting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit