What Global Warming?

by metatron 51 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Why is it so objectionable to some to consider the possibility that we are doing harm. To explore new technologies, look for new alternatives, and begin new business's. Why does it rankle some to think of these new business's making profits. What is wrong with regulating the level of pollution a company can spew? What's wrong with a car that is more fuel efficient? What's wrong with a "greener" way of building homes, or more importantly planning communities? And what in the world is so wrong with the companies that produce the products, and do the research making money from it? The oil companies are currently making the highest profits IN HISTORY. While some of us have to decide if we are going to buy groceries or put gas in the car to get to work.

Is it just a coincidence that Bush and a big chunk of his administration have major ties to the oil industry, and that the US, "the world’s top carbon emitter", refuses to consider the global warming issue?

Here is an interesting article, not as current as it could be, but interesting. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16593606/

• godadist
    godadist
    Why is it so objectionable to some to consider the possibility that we are doing harm. To explore new technologies, look for new alternatives, and begin new business's. Why does it rankle some to think of these new business's making profits. What is wrong with regulating the level of pollution a company can spew? What's wrong with a car that is more fuel efficient? What's wrong with a "greener" way of building homes, or more importantly planning communities? And what in the world is so wrong with the companies that produce the products, and do the research making money from it? The oil companies are currently making the highest profits IN HISTORY.

Well obviously there is nothing wrong with these things.

• amicus
    amicus

I've followed the Global warming debate for years. Right or wrong, the Global warming "scare" has been positive as it's helped focus global attention on sustainability.

The way most of we humans are living on this planet is short-sighted at best. Dealing with the by products of human civilization is critical unless you are of the mind that we should rip, tear, burn and expand until we kill ourselves off, or just the most powerful are left.

I was born in Burbank, Ca in the San Fernando Valley (just N of LA) in 1952. It was a beautiful place to live. There were some large housing tracts and towns spread about but the Valley was mostly cattle ranches, orange groves and small family owned farms. 12 years later the valley had mostly become paved roads, suburbs and strip malls covered with filthy polluted air. The rapid pace of growth was stunning. Of course this was in a semi-arid area. In their great wisdom the Army Corps of Engineers turned the LA river into a concrete culvert and starting diverting water from N California to feed this urban sprawl.

I left this urban wasteland around 1973 and ended up in the Sacramento area a few years later. My Grandparents old house there, which I used to visit as a young child and I remember being surrounded by olive orchards, orange groves and open cattle ranges (we used to watch cowboys round up cattle from the breakfast table), was now surrounded by...paved roads, suburbs and strip malls.

It just wasn't LA that had changed it was much of California. Sadly it's still changing. If this nonsense continues soon we'll have one large city from San Diego to Sacramento. Not sure where the water is going to come from, nor does anyone else either. We can always build Nuke power plants to air condition this mass of humanity, not sure what we'll do with the waste though from this...nor does anyone else. The fuel for the cars that fill the roadways in this urban mess is going to come from where? Of course someone could develop the magic battery for these cars...but what will we do with the old batteries? Landfills sure don't want them.

Our lifestyle (developed nations anyways) is built around laziness and greed (imho anyways *cough* cough*). Most of our political leaders and many of our citizens seem to have the attention span and foresight of mosquitos. If it's determined 30 years from now that Global Warming really was more a natural pattern the Earth is going through and less because of our waste products who cares? If the fear of Global Warming forces us to deal *now..today* with some of the critical issues affecting mankind and how we treat our environment then I'll gladly jump on that bandwagon.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    If it's determined 30 years from now that Global Warming really was more a natural pattern the Earth is going through and less because of our waste products who cares? If the fear of Global Warming forces us to deal *now..today* with some of the critical issues affecting mankind and how we treat our environment then I'll gladly jump on that bandwagon.

In a nutshell.

I was born in Northridge by the way Amicus, 8 years after you. I lived for some years in Stanislaus county, much of my extended family lived there for as long as I can remember. I can't believe how many orchards and fields I've seen replaced by 2500+ square foot homes. And all the SUVs that go with them.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"6, are you familiar with Milankovitch cycles and their effect on climate?"

Also known as "100,000 year cycles"?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"If it's determined 30 years from now that Global Warming really was more a natural pattern the Earth is going through and less because of our waste products who cares? If the fear of Global Warming forces us to deal *now..today* with some of the critical issues affecting mankind and how we treat our environment then I'll gladly jump on that bandwagon. "

And that's the smart, conservative, and loving way to look at it, if you're going to look at it from a "gut" perspective. But make no mistake, scientist should not be looking at it from their "gut".

We're dealing with physics equations that no one has dis-proven, so until someone does, it makes scientific sense to believe that human added greenhouse gasses will warm the earth, and it makes scientific, moral, economic, and national defense sense to try and understand what that warming will do, and mitigate any effects effects which will be negative (which is most of them).

• godadist
    godadist
    Also known as "100,000 year cycles"?

Oversimplification. Google it as you want others to do. Also use search using the term "orbital forcing". Not telling you what to do, but it is a very interesting subject and relevant to the thread.

• godadist
    godadist

A question:

Is a warmer planet inherently bad?

It has been warmer in the past, and apparently it supported a much larger biomass. Large portions of the Northern Hemisphere are essentially frozen wastelands that support a small load of living things, in comparison to warmer equatorial regions.

• amicus
    amicus
    I was born in Northridge by the way Amicus, 8 years after you.

Wow, cool. We eventually moved to Canoga Park, close to Pierce College. I spent a lot of time hiking in the foothills just n of you folks there in Northridge. Well, all the foothills actually around West Valley. Topanga Canyon was my favourite. I spent many a weekend as a kid hiking up and down Topanga Creek.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

All TRUE followere of God will be in Heaven. So global warming imho is the Earth becoming quite literally HELL ON EARTH.

I'm more concerned about the plight of Bees. They seem to be disappearing from the earth.

Jesus said that their would be an increase in earthquakes and Wars and a decrese in bees!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit