Help me with my "empty nest" moment!

by changeling 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Enjoy your freedom now, because it won't be long until grandkids come along!

• BFD
    BFD

I'm glad you got a chuckle from my comment, changeling. That's what I intended.

It seems you've raised 2 well adjusted young adults and you should be proud. Maybe you can join Oompa's Harley group? I have a feeling you'd look good in leather.

BFD

• John Doe
    John Doe

Just think, now you can walk around the house naked anytime you want to. ;-)

• chickpea
    chickpea

awwwwwwww, mate!
    as has been said, this is just the next phase
    to go thru til the phase after THAT is looming large....

maybe it is time to look beyond the nest
    and find a path you might never have walked before

my nest has shifted from half empty ( or half full depending )
    to 3/4 full as the 20 YO has returned unexpectedly for the summer.....
    i know there will be a last time that any of them are "living" here
    so i am laying the groundwork for the years that will follow

right now i am in an education program in
    preparation for a master's degree in holistic health
    with a developing business plan that will have a launch date
    that parallels my (nearly)15 YO's graduation from HS in june, 2011...

i suspect by that time there might be grandlings...
    but i am pretty sure regardless i will be busy with the
    things i put on hold whilst rearing kids....

• restrangled
    restrangled

Changling....

My youngest boy has been gone about 6 months. In order to cope I jumped into redecorating his bedroom into a guest bedroom to keep my mind thinking about that instead of his absence. I was rewarded with a 3 month stay of my MIL who needed care taking. I'm not complaining....it kept me busy.

My son, like yours moved into a home with friends. He loves his independence. I see him once a week when he needs to do laundry. I am only too happy to baby him...more so then when he was at home. He is sent home with food, fresh laundry, various kitchen tools, etc.

Every time I see him walk through the door my heart leaps with pride and a mom's love.

Every time I go out to the garage, I see the big storage containers of the Legos he played with for hours through the years. I'm saving them for grandchildren. I had to let him go, I refuse to let go of those toys that have his name written all over them. It seems the time went too fast, now that I look back. Somedays I thought would never end as a mom, and here I sit with my 2 boys gone.

I'm still waiting for time to make me feel 100% better.

r.

• DiscoSandy
    DiscoSandy

I'm not at this stage of life yet, but I can imagine what it feels like. I'm happy that you have children that you care about so much! "You are the wind beneath their wings". Even though your relationship with them is changing, you will always be their mom.

• changeling
    changeling

(((((((((((restrangled))))))))))))))

Your comment about the box of Leggos nearly had me bawling!

I love life and I love change, but raising my kids was such a sweet time in my life that it's hard to come to terms with the fact that it's over.

By the way, I already have a granddaughter and she's adorable ,but she lives out of state with my daughter and hubby.

changeling :)

• restrangled
    restrangled

Changling....

Your comment about the box of Leggos nearly had me bawling!

Yes I have a hard time not getting teary as I walk past every day to do laundry. The other horrible thing is a display cabinet out there with all the castles built etc. behind glass. I can remember every shopping trip. There must be 5K in legos out there. Damn!

You have a grand daughter? Oh my god, how hard not to be close!

Just want to state I so feel your pain.....take care sweetie!

r.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Ah, Yes, I remember it well.......I raised two sons. The older one moved out at 19, got an apartment with his best friend. Only lived about a half hour away. We were always in touch. He continued to go to the same hall as us, so we so him alot. His job took him overseas, yes at his young age, very smart indeed. I was able to live my young life over again through him as I had left home at 18, for the service. My younger son didn't leave until he got married, at 20.

The happiest moments came when they got married, and the saddest moments as they were now being loved by some one else. My ex and I did begin taking 3 day weekend trips but that faded as did our marriage. Life changes with the times and events that shape that change.

Just enjoy the moments that you have while you have them in your presence. They grow up just like that and then you have other issues to deal with. Even though they may leave, temporarily, they will always be YOUR KIDS!!!! Keep them close, keep them in your frame of mind as regards the tower.

NMG

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Thinkin' aboutcha. I can relate. All I can say is let the feelings be. They are natural. Give yourself the time and space to transition. Rest assured that just when you start to get used to whatever's next for you, he'll be all ... hey, what? hehe "True life is lived when tiny changes occur." Oh, and congratulations on making it to this amazing milestone in life!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit