My first convention

by kurtbethel 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

So I did it. I went to the District Convention in San Diego. I got to see first hand the good, the bad, and the ugly of what transpires at a convention. The worst fears of what I was warned about never materialized. The nourishing spiritual banquet that I was told was being offered to me was overrated, more like a dried stale biscuit. I had fun. To understand how this is possible, you need to realize something about me. Over four decades of teachers, principals, employers, cops, and assorted other people trying to crush the fun out of me has come to nothing as I prevailed over all of them. So a day of mind control programming, and it is programming, is not going to make a dent in my spirit. While there, I took pictures. I will let the pictures tell most of the story with my occasional comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hmmm, this is an interesting sight. Nice tatt on that one.

---

If you can't see it up close, it's nice to have a sound system.

---

Many people attentively took notes on these little devices.

---

The prop department built a neat little wall that included mini watchtowers.

---

This brother brother found a way to cope with the June heat.

---

One of the "Please Keep Moving" brothers. I never see them at worldly events. Why do worldly people not need to be told this? Can these brothers stand on the freeways at 5 pm with these signs? It might help!

---

Redheads! 'Nuff said.

---

There was some variation in the amount of modesty some sisters had. And praise Jah for that!

---

While most of the r&f sweated out the heat, one brother had this air conditioned skybox. He was chatting up a sister when I strolled in. "Can I help you?" he asked. "No thanks, I have it under control!" I answered and snapped this shot so you can see what you might get if you go out and "do more" and earn some perks for all your service. My JW who brought me dutifully waited outside and when I emerged I told him, "That brother has done well in the organization."

---

These brothers set up a port-a-tower to be on the watch for apostates, who never showed. Come on apostates! What is wrong with you? The heat get you cowering at the beach?

---

Another one of the note taking devices that seems to be in common use at the convention.

---

The Drama. Here we learned the story of the evil elder Scolios. (Greek - meaning bent, crooked, twisted) Why was he evil? It seems he favored showing charity to poor people. Then is seems he was in favor of getting an education. Worst of all, he thought it was okay to have employment that provided more that a menial wage. The scoundrel!

---

Of course, the faithful must be protected from learning. So they demonstrated a book burning of all that evil knowledge.

---

"Oh, Thank Heaven" as the sign says. I found out why it is called the Grand Boasting Session as I was treated to a 45 minute Boastfest.

---

All good things must end. These sisters departed the scene, perhaps to pioneer for the organization.

---

Being just a couple miles away from Beth Sarim, I thought it would enhance the experience to show it to my JW and tell him the story about the Judge possibly awaiting resurrection under the garage. It looks so nice in the afternoon sunlight. I spoke briefly with the residents, who were enjoying sitting out on the front lawn.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Kurt

Note: Special props to my beloved friend who was with me in spirit through this.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

they had a book burning in the drama? How nazi of them.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I love the pix, I love the commentary, and the audacity of that drama has me reeling.

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

Thank you for posting this! I have never been to a convention, and so have a lot of curiosity about them (not enough to actually ever attend one though LOL). Your comments and pictures were so light-hearted and fun, I wonder what the people there made of you! It sounds like you endured this event with your sense of humor intact throughout.

I have read and heard about the Keep Moving guys. The idea of that has always seemed so ludicrous to me, and now I have finally seen one. He looks just how I pictured them to look.

I am curious about all the umbrellas, and all the empty seats. Does most of the stadium stay empty the whole time, with all the people crammed into a smaller section? And I see a lot of large fancy umbrellas in those pictures, some of them practically open-air tents. That seems like a hefty thing to lug around. Are they provided, or do all of these people bring their own?

Thanks again for sharing this. I know most people here have endured way too many of these things and probably cringe at the thought, but it's a bizarre curiosity to me and I loved your funny approach to it all. Thanks for letting me experience this vicariously -- the only way I'm willing to do it LOL.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Thank you for posting this! I have never been to a convention, and so have a lot of curiosity about them (not enough to actually ever attend one though LOL). Your comments and pictures were so light-hearted and fun, I wonder what the people there made of you! It sounds like you endured this event with your sense of humor intact throughout.

Like they say, you can't keep a good man down.

I am curious about all the umbrellas, and all the empty seats. Does most of the stadium stay empty the whole time, with all the people crammed into a smaller section? And I see a lot of large fancy umbrellas in those pictures, some of them practically open-air tents. That seems like a hefty thing to lug around. Are they provided, or do all of these people bring their own?

Qualcomm seats 70,000 and there was 17,000 attending. Most of the stadium is sectioned off. It was hot there, with full sun. People brought their umbrellas and shade for that. They are actually very light. The tent like structures are very collapsible. Many people were unable to see the program through the sea of umbrellas, but I was seated where I could see the stage, though far away. It was commanded to take them down for the drama. By then the sun was positioned so my area was in shade.

Thanks again for sharing this. I know most people here have endured way too many of these things and probably cringe at the thought, but it's a bizarre curiosity to me and I loved your funny approach to it all. Thanks for letting me experience this vicariously -- the only way I'm willing to do it LOL.

That's why I do my photo essays, so people can experience things that they are otherwise not able to, and see them through my eyes. I enjoy this, as a public service, but I get paid gigs too.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Great Kurt.....

Wow not just the tattoo but she had Capri pants on.....

so you really got the goods on the text addicts

And the beautiful Redhead of course....tee hee hee

And too bad we did not see real flames on the books....

Great job there....

hope4others

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

That was an enjoyable slide show - I reckon that first lady with the tats and pants wasn't a sister - there is just no way she would go dressed like that if she was.

Ah that scene (bar for those huge ass speakers) is so so so familiar to me - could have been a convention here, except we were allowed to sit on the grass (or make a lil bed and lie down next to your baby brother and sush him and yourself to sleep)

Was this a three day convention - because then the one in durban is due in December only.

I just showed my cousin - (df'ed but believes it's the truth) we had a good laugh - I told him I'd go with him to the convention at the end of the year BUT that I'm going in jeans and a shirt that reads 144002

• Robert7
    Robert7
    One of the "Please Keep Moving" brothers. I never see them at worldly events. Why do worldly people not need to be told this? Can these brothers stand on the freeways at 5 pm with these signs? It might help!

LOL!!!! Great point! There you go. The Society had the solution to urban traffic all along! That was funny...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Fantastic pics and commentary! Really enjoyed seeing it from an outside take.

This was our second year of NOT ATTENDING, after well nigh 40 years of doing so - the freedom to just dismiss the whole charade is so liberating!! Saved wear and tear on the vehicle, huge gas savings, no motel/hotel charges and decent home-cooked meals as opposed to food on the fly, there are just so many advantages to bloody well STAYING HOME! I realize now that it was never truly 'enjoyable' - actually always felt like a herd of cattle being corralled to the seats and then let loose at the end of the day after a session of force-fed indoctrination - just wonder why I never realized it until now. Good on ya for capturing the essence of what it's all about - force feeding the sheeple.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

God that takes me back ! (shudder)

When I think of all the times I wasted at those gatherings...In the past I would tape it all all.. on my cutting edge tech cassette recorder..and listen again afterwards.. I have stayed in peoples homes for the weekend, or hotels and slept in a tent city once at London..I have washed food trays, served food . been an attendant ......all for what? To discover later in life that it was all B/S and we were being conned! -

At least California looks a lot warmer than England , might get a tan - if you let anything show....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit