How Can We Expose Child Abusers - Who Got Away with it as Witnesses ?

by flipper 115 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• flipper
    flipper

I got the idea for this thread by talking with a friend this weekend who had been abused by a father when young. This person confronted this parent about it and got a very self righteous reply back from the offender. Already a precedent for exposing the Watchtower society has been set. In 2007 16 victims of child abuse by multiple Jehovah's Witness offenders were paid out of court settlements in the millions$$$$ so that the Watchtower society would avoid any publicity or in their mind unwanted media attention ! Thanks to Barbara Anderson's efforts in November 2007 this settlement made NBC nightly news and those watching were informed about the Watchtower's long standing policy of burying their heads in the sand like ostrich's heads , and allowing pedophiles the opportunity to have free roam to any congregation they wanted in the United States , so as to re-offend again and molest other children ! More have been exposed in the media ( Gilbert Simental ) being one, but more can and should be done.

One way is open confrontation verbally. I saw this option pursued by a middle aged brother when I was still a witness in 1998. This was my first meeting at a new congregation, and after the Watchtower study ended- this middle aged brother jumps out of his seat, runs to the stage and grabs the microphone from the Watchtower study conductor ! He yelled out, " Brother so and so sitting over there is a child molester and has molested 6 children in this congregation alone ! If you love your children you will protect them from this brother and not let them get near him ! " Well, you could have heard a pin drop ! The Watchtower conductor grabbed the microphone back and said, " Yes, brothers we are aware of this and we are taking care of the situation . " No doubt the brother who yelled this out felt frustrated that this was his ONLY option; to jump up on the stage and shout out this information. He became my new hero. The offending molester was disfellowshipped, and sent to jail . I don't know how long he served ; but more importantly innocent children would now be less at risk , due to this one brother having the courage to speak out publicly about it !

So the point I'm making is if more and more people get involved confronting these pedophiles , and not allowing this twisted conduct to go on , perhaps in time more and more and more lawsuits can be pursued , more children be protected in the witnesses, and more pedophiles brought to justice by being prosecuted ! So, what ideas do you folks have for exposing the child abusers ? How would one go about doing that in a successful way ? In Simental's case it took teacher's or the school principal going to the police and authorities ! If we know of some witness children being molested, shouldn't we do that as well ? I'll leave this open to discussion - I really want your thoughts on this - Because the more vocal, publicly aware we can make people of this, then perhaps the children of Jehovah's Witnesses won't have to suffer in silence out of fear of exposing their abusers ! So , as always I look forward to your comments . Take care, Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• JK666
    JK666

Flipper,

Do you want names? I would be more than happy to oblige.

JK

• llbh
    llbh

If you are a victim or know a victim report it to the authorities immediately, let them deal with it. Keep any children away from the abusers

But be careful to make sure of your facts.

I am governor at a school and we have very definite strategies in place, these are designed to safeguard all.

I know of one person who falsely accused someone of abuse, to cover up thier own actions. That person falsly accused lost their marriage, never saw thier child sill unborn and is still suffering years later

David

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

Maybe we need to start a list on the internet! Let those who have been abused anonomusly post the situation and name of the abuser. I'm sure that would bring on some legal issues though.

• Babylon the Great Employee
    Babylon the Great Employee

Keep in mind, however, if the molestation/rape charges can't be prosecuted for [a variety of reasons], and lawsuits cannot be initiated against the perpetrator for civil damages, then the act of exposing molesters to the public could result in the molester being able to successfully sue for defamation. It certainly would be risky business. I would make sure that any accusations made to the public are backed up by people *willing* to give their testimony if necessary. While reporting molestation as a crime to the police, CPS, DA's office, etc. is protected, "publishing" it to the public is not protected.

However, in theory, it could be an unconventional (albeit expensive) way of getting some justice for that person's victims...

When adults report abuse that occurred as a child, charges are often barred due to expiration of statutes of limitations (although child rape will carry a longer SOL, child molestation generally carries a short SOL in most jurisdictions). However, there's no statute of limitations on the truth. Truth is always a defense to claims of defamation. If a defendant got sued for defamation for spreading the word that plaintiff is a child molester then, in theory, the defense would have the opportunity to present evidence (i.e. testimony indicating that abuse occurred) that plaintiff is really a child molester, thereby putting it in the public record. Losing the case would be a clear indication to the public that he really is a child molester (sayeth a jury of his peers). Of course, that's just a fanciful theory. Jurisdictions vary greatly with regards to defamation law, and even individual judges might exclude such testimony as being more prejudicial than probative (especially in turning a civil suit about defamation into a child molestation trial). Just a fanciful thought, and in no way actual legal advice! Just brainstorming.

• asilentone
    asilentone

we can expose them via email, not on www. What do you think?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

This is a subject that is very raw with me. I am the person Mr. Flipper helped this weekend. I still haven't responded to my stepdad's email. I have had a couple suggestions, with the 2 people I shared this email with. When I decide, I'm sure I will post what happens.

Silent lambs has a page that identifies "where" the molestors are. Anyone can add to this.

As far as my stepdaddy dearest. Until recently, he was a elder. I don't know why he stepped down. I know I raised hell with the elders in my old congregation last fall. He did admit what he did to me in an elder's meeting with one of my sisters, years ago. As far as I know, nothing happened.

I have an email where he "apologized to me" for what he did. I think that was my first post on this board. I really don't remember. I can't bring myself to look at it now. I have "forgiven" him. But I havn't forgotten. I had to. It was eating me up. Now I just want what should be mine......justice.

The statue of limitations here ran out. I have talked several times with Kimberly Norris.

cbb

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

great post, Mr. Flipper!

If you have the guts for the direct approach it can be quite effective. Accounts like that have a way of being retold through-out JW-Land with great ferocity, which would be great in this case.

The only problem is, it doesn't take long for someone to give the story that all too familiar JW Twist. However, the more public the confrontation is the more eyewitnesses there are so it is far less likely to get distorted in the JW spin doctoring machinery.

I would encourage anyone in a position to make a public confrontation like that to do so. If it can prevent even one child from being molested in the future it will be worth the effort!

peace to all,

The Oracle

• blondie
    blondie

I think that a list of jw abusers is on the www.silentlambs.org website.

http://www.silentlambs.org/sllist.htm

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

crazyblond,

This is a subject that is very raw with me. I am the person Mr. Flipper helped this weekend. I still haven't responded to my stepdad's email. I have had a couple suggestions, with the 2 people I shared this email with. When I decide, I'm sure I will post what happens.

I am certainly not trying to diminish the support and help provided by well meaning friends, but if you have no spoken to a professional therapist about your issues, I strongly urge you to do so. I have seen many survivors problems exacerbated by well meaning but amateur input.

There are numerous professional bodies who will put you in touch with local professional help. Where abuse issues are concerned, it really does take a trained therapist to help with structuring coping systems etc.

Kind regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit