Is Genesis account just a myth?

by AK - Jeff 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

The Genesis account found in chapters 2-3 is an older myth than the one found in chapter 1 of Genesis.

Although the Genesis account found in chapters 2 and 3 is unique unto itself, there do exist certain similarities between parts of the Genesis narrative and other myths from other Mesopotamian cultures. For example, one will notice similarities between Genesis and The Myth of Etana; The Myth of Adapa; The Myth of Atrahasis; The Myth of Baal; and Gilgamesh.

For an interesting change of perspective, it is worthwhile to read the biblical Book of Ezekiel 28: 11 - 19, which offers a variant of the edenic garden story and reads - "Thus the word of the Lord came to me: 'Son of man, utter a lament over the king of Tyre, saying to him: Thus says the Lord God:

You were stamped with the seal of perfection,

of complete wisdom and perfect beauty.

In Eden, the garden of God, you were,

and every precious stone was your covering...

Of gold your pendants and jewels were made, on the day you were created.

With the Cherub I placed you,

you were on the holy mountain of God...

Blameless you were in your conduct

from the day you were created

Until evil was found within you...

Then I banned you from the mountain of God;

the Cherub drove you from among the fiery stones.

You became haughty of heart because of your beauty;

for the sake of splendor you debased your wisdom.'"

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Who wrote the bible? by Richard Friedman does a good study of Genesis and shows how and where the different ancient texts were merged.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

hamilcarr -

I am sorry but some of what you quoted made me laugh:

"a peoples quest for social equality" HAHAHAHA.

The guy who wrote that also failed to include "a people's quest to commit genocide on a massive scale, killing those races descended from their cousins."

HB

• dogon2
    dogon2

Talking snakes,floods world wide with all animals on a boat,salt water fish and fresh water fish mixed with world wide flood with no death to either.

Dinosaurs created but not disclosed to us, for what ever reason then destroyed. woman created out of spar ribs KC style, Yep it really happend that way, If you buy that, I own a slightly used bridge that crosses from lower michigan to the up. I will sell it to you for a bargin price. Just email me and I will give you an address to send the funds.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Since there was no obvious collusion to correct them into believable tales - what should we make of that?

Perhaps, realise that ancient "primeval narratives" were not meant to tell us "what really happened" in the first place -- and from this perspective most of the debate between fundamentalistic apologists and "Bible critics" appears utterly pointless.

But even what they were actually about (i.e., a certain understanding of human reality) the "weavers" did not try too hard to harmonise -- perhaps also because the differences on that level are much more subtle.

Maybe you might find this old thread interesting: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/86007/1.ashx

I would believe that Jesus did know the Jewish prophecies and could have very well 'worked them' to fit himself into the picture.

That's another topic, but how many of them were really understood as (Messianic) "prophecies" before the writing of the Gospels?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit