My Dad Told Me I'll Never Retire...But I Should Still Have a 401k

by B_Deserter 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

In 1975 I was told "this system" wouldn't last another 2 years. Then we were always on the "threshold of the great tribulation" until I left in 2003. Because of that belief I made a lot of unwise financial decisions. Now I'm trying to make up for it, as I'll be retiring in 15 years. Things will be tight, but many JWs will be a lot worse off than me.

W

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

Ah, if we only knew sooner!

If the WTS has their way, the "mature" christian will not save more than is necessary (extra funds go to the WTS), will not accumulate assets, will not advance in any career (and thus perpetually remain in a low income bracket), etc. The "not-so-mature" christian may additionally run up debt thinking he will never have to pay them off. Very, very few will save for a meaningful retirement.

How sad, very sad. And we were all affected by this to some degree.

Starting "all over" later in life is difficult, but can be done.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I started my 401k at age 25, when I was still a Dub. People said I was foolish, and I told them, well you're 55 and probably without savings, I don't want to be in that boat, and with the power of compounding money and time I should be able to live comfortably in my golden years.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Bottom line: When you're too old or ill to work the watchtower society won't feed you. You'll have to go to "Satan's system" to fill your belly if you have no savings.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit