My Dad Told Me I'll Never Retire...But I Should Still Have a 401k

by B_Deserter 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

He was telling me that by 2020, none of "this" (the weeeerld) is going to be here, but it's still a good idea to have a 401(k) because you can use it for other things, like a down payment on a house or something. Then he started talking about how he never thought he would retire, and now he's faced with it. I just kind of thought that was funny. He was just as sure he wasn't going to retire as he is I'm not going to, yet here he is, just around the corner from 65. It's funny how he didn't make the logical connection.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was told The New System would be here,before I would be in High School.....My children are adults now..And..The JW`s that told me that..Are dead..Coffin...................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I suppose that's a kind advice on his part without rocking the ship in his world

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Where did he get that one?

• Zico
    Zico

My Dad thinks he'll never have to retire. He's 55. He's also going to be wrong.

• hot mama
    hot mama

If he's so sure that you won't retire then why in the hell do you need to buy a house? None of the crap makes any since. Sorry for putting it that way but it's just so darn irritating to know that they are still doing the same old song and dance.That's the reason right now there are so many Witnesses who barely make enough money to live on, much less retire. My goodness. Wake up people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Babylon the Great Employee
    Babylon the Great Employee

Before I got married, I disclosed to my husband very clearly that his mother-in-law will be living with us someday. My mother's never had a 401(k) or had any savings. Why do you need retirement when the system of things will be ending any minute now? We're going to be supporting her in her old age. </p>

I too was told I would never make it to adulthood, and here I am, almost 30 and a parent myself. (With 6-figure student loan debt since my parents also didn't bother to save for college.) The system of things will definitely end before our sun burns out in a few billion years, I'm sure of it.

• Quandry
    Quandry

it's still a good idea to have a 401(k) because you can use it for other things, like a down payment on a house or something.

That still implies that it will be used in the future, and why plan on buying a house with a thirty year mortgage if this system will not be here? Won't everyone just choose some fabulous house when those pesky worldly people who worked hard for it and owned it have been killed?

I know, I did it too, tried to reconcile the sneaking feeling in my mind that I was growing older and was told I wouldn't. (I am 56 now, and of course never put money into retirement)

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

You dads comments tell a much bigger story about what is going on within the Jehovah's Witness movement.

As time passes, their message of "Armageddon fast approaching" is becoming more and more irrelevant. While the individual members may actually state verbally that they believe they will never retire, grow old, die, ect, they live their lives in expectation that those things may actually occur.

I think this is an important observation to recognize. While the Watchtower rhetoric about the "end times" is still being pumped out full force, it has very little effect on the membership. People (especially in western lands) are starting to look more long term. They hope and wish that the Armageddon would come in their lifetime, but are not as "sure" as the past generations of the movement were. They certainly are not making the same kind of sacrifices that previous JW generations did.

Putting this in a grander perspective, it appears as though the Watchtower movement is going to be faced with some pretty substantial problems. It's main message is loosing importance in our times. Because it is now an established faith it simply will not be able to continue with it's end time message through the end of this century. I suspect that within our lifetimes the movement will either change yet again, or shrivel into disorganization.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was told by the Watch Tower Witnesses that the "new world" would be here before I went to high school. I turned 64 this year. It was all a scam. We were set up to labor for free for a book printing business.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit