How many people here majored or are majoring in English?

by John Doe 18 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

My son is majoring in English. He has no clue where that will take him. But he's happy. He may also end up with a minor or double major in Dance.

changeling :)

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i have a major nada in english.

good speller, bad gramm.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

independent grant writer
    That sounds like an interesting field. How did you get into it, and how long have you been doing it?
    Worked for a non-profit agency part-time doing admin stuff. Wrote some pretty good letters - gave me a shot at writing grant proposals. Went independent 4 years later - so altogether about 12 years. No shortage of clients. It was interesting working with diabetes research, breast cancer, child abuse, child development, music and theatre programs, housing, unwed moms, etc., etc. Semi-retired now.

• rmt1
    rmt1

BA English and Classics. I took them to observe how language and meaning function and are abused and how the linguistic field of meaning can be subtly tweaked with plausible deniability, in order to deprogram 25 years of JW genocide against the kindred, reason, sense and logic. Computer operations at a university.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I want to study English-and I want to be a writer. I do hate grammar rules, but I figure that will be the suffering I do for my art. I work at a newspaper now in the ad services dept. Which means that I am close to real writers, but not even allowed to come in their private employee entrance (although am allowed to go out of it-go figure:) The most writing I do in my work is to correct others' horridly obvious bad spelling, grammar, tenses, and things like that. Occasionally I am called on to 'rephrase' ad copy. Totally thrills me:) I am very easy to please, what can I say? Edited to say: Earlier in life, I planned on getting a law degree. I also love history. Why'd you drop out in the 10th grade? Congratulations on all you have achieved and all you are achieving. That is something to look up to!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Not an English major. But I hire a fair number. In entry level jobs. Very, very entry level.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

{Spanish accent} I speaka englesh very well....I learn it from a book. -Fawlty Towers.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I was an Englsih major, but just changed it to a science because it means something in my industry. Writing courses are required anyway, so I get to fulfill that desire regardless.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Not an English major. But I hire a fair number. In entry level jobs. Very, very entry level.

Was that a dig? lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit