How are they controlling the use of technology during meetings/conventions?

by candela 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• candela
    candela

There was no texting or cellphones readily available for all teenagers and kids when I last attended a meeting or convention. You use to have to talk or draw or write notes to keep yourself entertained during the long hours of boredom, which wasn't easy to do discretely.

I would've love to have texting phones in that time! So I'm sure people must be playing with their phones and texting up a storm during the presentations. And I'm also sure they must be trying to control it with all their might. How's it working out? Anybody knows?

It must be hysterical to watch!!

• TheListener
    TheListener

The WTS doesn't control it through technology. They control it through intimidation and peer pressure.

There are a lot of youths that use their phones for texting during the Assy., and Conventions. But, they are labelled weak.

Strong youths pay attention and listen to the information.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I've seen a few people with earbud headphones listening to the info via the FM broadcast. Mostly older folks though. I'll bet it would be tempting to switch from the broadcast to your favorite iPod playlist.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Text messaging was specifically forbidden in the pre-convention rule making articles in the Kingdom Ministry this year.

om

• loosie
    loosie

I would have dated much more if we had texting during the assemblies.

I had to resort to checking out the bros with binoculars during the assemblies.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course it is hard to enforce no text messaging. It's not like the attendants can confiscate your phone. Parents are expected to police their children and fathers with errant children could be punished by having "privileges" removed or not given.

many jws are passive aggressive when it comes to "obeying." If they can conceal their actions, they do.

*** km 4/07 p. 4 par. 3 Follow the Christ by Manifesting Dignity ***While the program is in session, it is not the time for needless talking, text messaging, eating, or roaming the corridors. Youths should be seated with their parents so that parents can help them to benefit from the program.

Can you imagine confiscating people's food, making them sit in their seats during the program, not talking? After over 40 years of attending conventions/assemblies, attempts to "control" this was met with statements that the attendants had no way enforce this; I saw some heated discussions.

But first we have to get the elders to sit in their seats.

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

My favorite experience was giving the guy in front of me tips on his solitaire game he was playing on his laptop during the session.

• candela
    candela

LOL! Me too!
    <br><br>You supposedly used the binoculars to see the people doing the presentation but one was really looking in the opposite direction checking out the guys until one of my parents would snatch them out of my hands!!!

My dad was one of those elders that NEVER sat down! EVER!! And on the rare ocassion he would, he would fall asleep.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    attempts to "control" this was met with statements that the attendants had no way enforce this; I saw some heated discussions.

Me too. Once I was at the Cow Palace in SF in the Mid 90's. It was a Spanish language DC and a group of sisters in their 30's to 40's were blatantly opposing the rule to not be talking in the corridor. They had three of those jackasses with "Keep Moving" or "Sit Down and SHUT UP" signs just standing there like idiots staring at them.

The sisters blabbered on and on. Until Uber-Hounder came up. He actually spoke. He asked them to go to their seats and all but one scurried away. Apparently her hubby was another uber-hounder, and she was not going to be told to do anything. So I am now glued to this and waiting to see the brother be cowed.

Nope he told her in a very unfriendly voice that he didn't care who her husband was, that Christ had appointed him to keep the corridor clear and she would move or else. Mind you this is all going on in Spanish. She says or else what to him and he tells her in front of everyone, "Yo no soy su esposo. Yo si la pego. Muevete o te voy a hagarra a fregazos...." In English it isn't so funny. He told her that he was not her husband and he would hit her. Get moving or I will beat you.

She moved.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I will watch for this on Sunday and report back. it sounds really infantile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit