Why JWs avoid sharing in toasts vs. wikipedia

by song19 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• song19
    song19

So I stubled on the following image on GBletters site. You have to love how the watchtower uses circular reasoning… quoting from older watchtower articles to reinforce their points. I thought I would have a look myself to see what the toast signifies and its history… this was very surprising. Is it just me, or is the watchtower way off? Where did they get their information from? Granted I took only 2 minutes at wikipedia... but you would think I would come accros something similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_%28honor%29

History
    The practice of toasting originated in Ancient Greece, at a time when fear of poisoning was a significant concern. To put guests at ease, the host would pour the guests' wine from a common decanter, take the first drink to demonstrate its safety, then raise his cup to the guests and invite them to drink in good health.[citation needed]
    The word 'toast' became associated with the custom in the 17th century, based on a custom of flavoring drinks with spiced toast. The word originally referred to the lady in whose honor the drink was proposed, her name being seen as figuratively flavoring the drink.[1][2]

CHEERS!

• Robert7
    Robert7

Interesting! Here's another article confirming this. It does mention theories that it may ward of spirits, but it's far more about trusting the host.

http://itotd.com/articles/518/the-toast/

I like the final thought, that gives a well-balanced view on this:

Today, all the historical (and pseudo-historical) associations of this ritual have been lost, and yet we continue to go through the motions of what appears to be a sort of secular communion. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. In fact, I think we could do with a few more customs that bring us together in spontaneous acts of community.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

ok, now I truly am doubting the honesty of the WT on this toasting quote...in the new release they says:

The

1995 International Handbook on Alcohol and Culture says: "Toasting ... is probably a secular vestige of ancient sacrificial libations in which a sacred liquid was offered to the gods ... in exchange for a wish, a prayer summarized in the words 'long life!' or 'to your health!'"

Ellipsis after toasting...it makes me wonder if what is quoted after the word "Toasting" is truly connected to the word "Toasting".

In the WT QFR mentioned on governingbodyletters.blogspot.com this quotes is used but appears this way:

"{Toasting} is probably a secular vestige of ancient sacrificial libations in which a sacred liquid was offered to the gods ... in exchange for a wish, a prayer summarized in the words 'long life!' or 'to your health!'"

This time it is bracketed- meaning inserted by the WT..but not in the original quote. LOL We know how the WT likes to play with brackets don't we.

• Robert7
    Robert7

The whole point is who cares what it USED to be about 1000 years ago?! It has lost all meaning and is now simply a gesture. The GB members have such a stick up their asses!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I love toasting.

It makes me fell very warm and fuzzy inside.

Cheers!

The Oracle

• ataloa
    ataloa

The only thing I can really remember about toasting was that the witnesses always said it had to do with the superstition of the clinking glasses keeping evil spirits away and that's why they would not join in.

I read an article a few years ago much the same as those on the poisoning. Except I think the host and guest extended their drinks to trade them, and if the host was trusted, they just clinked instead. Well that made sense to me - nothing to do with superstition. So I never had a problem with it after that.

• MissingLink
  • New light for you
    New light for you

Song- great idea. All those "little" things that either make us special , or part of a cult... it's a toss-up.

oh, but wedding rings are OK.

• song19
    song19

When I was in school we studied symbolism in English class. Hmm, like there is no phallic symbol here... finger goes into the ring… thank about it.

I liked this link http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/rings.html - the ring has pagan, magical properties. I would love to see the WT come out with an article on this!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yet another rule that has no basis in the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit