Wow-I didn't know.

by QuestioningEverything 39 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I am shocked and saddened by the things that I have learned from this website and a few others I've seen. My grandma was a witness and my mom started to study seriously when I was 8 yrs. I was baptised at 13-way too young. I met my husband when I was 16. His dad is an elder and his mom a pioneer. His upbringing was much stricter than mine. He's so upset now at how he was raised that he can't see straight. I was disfellowshipped when I was 21 and reinstated when I was 24. I went on and off the to hall for most of my 20's and 30's. I'm now 40 and stunned by some of the things I've discovered- the UN membership- the blood fraction issue, the 'Generation' thing- the changing of policy on disfellowshipping and family, the college thing. I'm not bitter about my upbringing. She instilled in me some very good morals, work ethic and the ability to get along with others-all bible based. But the imposing personal beliefs on others is not right-such as the college issue, intimate matters between married persons, no sports/extracurricular activities for school age kids, etc. And let's not talk about the big issues. It's just too much for me to digest but I can't quit investigating the whole thing.. Everything I have ever been taught has now been questioned.

• BFD
    BFD

Welcome ?E!

It's a bitch, ain't it?

BFD

• carla
    carla

The amount of research is overwhelming isn't it? all the best to you

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Welcome to the board!

Isn't it a rude awakening?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Makes you sick, doesn't it?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Welcome to the board.

It's just too much for me to digest but I can't quit investigating the whole thing.. Everything I have ever been taught has now been questioned.

You're not alone. I was so overwhelmed at first that I thought I was going crazy. Question everything, eventually you'll figure out what really matters.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Welcome!

I think your thoughts are normal. Once we find out something we were so sure was real, is shown to be an illusion, we have to rethink everything we think we know.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Just goes to show that the whole washtowel paradigm is a scam. Jesus said that the truth would set one free, and that the load was light. Turns out that most religion (and the witless one is among the worst) adds mysticism and burden to it. The truth is actually very simple, and if people were not so blinded by religion (and especially the witlesses), it would actually be extremely easy to see and not at all complicated to learn.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

It's made me physically ill. My husband, who quit going years ago, is now at peace with the situation. He's been helpful . I'm just trying to get all of these facts and my emotions in some sort of order. It's overwhelming but yet I am not bitter and have no desire to bash or bad mouth them. Not all of my upbringing or experiences were bad . But I know that others were traumatized by how things were/are and feel terrible for them that they have to deal with that.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Yes, you should question everything. You will learn (or confirm) that SO much of what you were taught was a lie. It takes a lot of time to heal. I did so rather quickly over a period of 6 months, but many take longer.

Remember, it's ok to use your brain and question anything you are taught. If anyone (WTS) tells you otherwise, then they are hiding something.

Take your time, and slowly research to confirm what you are now learning. It will help the healing process and will help you move on. JWD helps many thru this process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit