birthdays in new release WT pub

by isaacaustin 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

a subtle difference in the new book....it says something like "the Bible reports negatively on birthdays- especially in the case of John the Baptist..."

They are subtly admitting that the gen account does not strongly put b-days in a bad light and choose to focus on John the Baptist. Obviously if they paid attention to the man spared and the results of that the Gen 40:20 account would be positive.

Yet they also now added the comments attributing birthdays to Satanism....

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Are you SERIOUS? They now are trying to work in Satanism with B-day? Talk about grasping at straws!!!!

Funny, I bet you a million dollars that no where does it mention Colossians 2:16 where it says, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by food, drink, a religious festival, New Moon celebration or Sabbath day." --- They just love to exlcude that scripture, which pretty flat out allows celebration of nearly anything under the sun.

Nutty controlling cult!

Wing Commander

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

WC:

Yeah, there are a few verses you don't really see very often in WTS literature, and that is one of them.

S4

• tfjw
    tfjw

WingCommander, good comment.

This is a far cry from what the Society used to teach. In comments on Colossians 2:16....

"All who are in Christ have liberty with respect to the festivals, new moons and sabbaths of the Law."

"If anyone presumes to judge another in these matters, he is violating a direct command of the Lord."

"We are to appreciate and guard our liberty in Christ."

Quotes from a compilation of commentary by C.T. Russell in "Expanded Biblical Comments"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What about Luke 2:10-14? Celebrating Jesus' birthday? I don't think perfect angels would be worshiping Satan, unless the Washtowel Slaveholdery is totally wrong. According to them, those perfect angels did not worship Satan, and yet there they were celebrating Jesus' birthday.

• New light for you
    New light for you

Dont forget, if they SAY that birthdays are now satanic (even though they havn't been for the last 100years) .....

THATS IT! now they are!

WHO ARE YOU TO QUESTION???!?!?!??!

Nothing will make them stumble.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Oh my gosh, this comparing Birthdays to Satanism is SO over the top!!

So let me get this straight. Just because THEY (Satanists) celebrate birthdays, WE cannot do it? Who cares what they do and what significance they give to a birthday?

Why should WE change our behavior because of what someone else does?

Talk about scare tactics! Now when people find out we're celebrating our daughter's birthday, we will be literally looked at as Satanists. What a cult!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

So do they seem to be abandoning the typical "only 2 b-days are mentioned in the Bible, both of which resulted in murder...." to now briefly state John the Baptist and then stress me-ism and Satanism?

• Robert7
    Robert7

Sounds like it. Went from a relatively moderate "it is seen in a bad light in the Bible" to "birthdays are a Satanic ritual"!

I hope those thinking ones in the faith call BS on this.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Yes the WT seems to control it members more effectively thru namecalling and titles....such as apostate, pagan, Satanism...etc

Instead of having to prove/back up their points against birthdays they hit them with a label that will automatically make members back away from them. Much the same way a member labeled an apostate is avoided rather than listened to in hopes of refuting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit