No school for you: confirmation of CO outline on education

by raindog 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• raindog
    raindog

I just spoke with my dad after he returned from an elders meeting. The CO did say that elders would have to step down from their positions if they supported their child getting an education. The reasoning behind this is that an elder is encouraging their children to attend college, they would not be able to counsel the rank and file on the issue. Now, there seems to be some debate about what qualifies as an education. If a dub is going to a trade school to be a nurse, welder, etc, that is allowed. However, going to college for four years to get a good paying job is not allowed. There you have it, an elder cannot support his children getting an education.

My dad's opinion is that there are plenty of "manual labor" jobs available, and that people just don't want to work. I reminded him of the state of the economy, in which he replied that "Jehovah will provide". Same old party line...sigh.

What is sad about the whole thing is that I had just got done telling him that I made deans list again and that I had been asked to join the honor society. And he completely blew me off and in fact, changed the subject to vaccum cleaners!!! WTF!!!

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Raindog, I am truly sorry to hear his response. Don't give up your future because of your Dad. I did not continue my education due to elder pressure and regret it so much. Do not get down but view this as opportunity.

• Robert7
    Robert7

What's terrible is I can see high school students who perform very well (dean't list, etc) actually be looked down upon for being 'too smart'...

• sf
    sf

[[ some debate about what qualifies as an education. If a dub is going to a trade school to be a nurse, welder, etc, that is allowed. However, going to college for four years to get a good paying job is not allowed. There you have it, an elder cannot support his children getting an education. ]] ROFLOLOLOLOL...seriously, this is THE absolute icing on the cake. Could someone, anyone, explain how this makes any sense? You can go become a PAID NURSE, WELDER, ETC., yet you can't go if you are simply...going to get a good PAYING JOB? BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Tell him that you are tired of this garbage and are joining the Marines. Maybe your mom will freak to the point that Dad wont care if you continue your education.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Wonder if they will make this retroactive. What about current elders that sent their kids to college in the past? Do they still have freedom of speech to counsel the r/f on the subject? My guess is they won't....they would lose way too many elders, and the way they are bleeding 'brothers willing to reach out' they really cannot afford to remove/delete that many men in the cong.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

just another line in the sand. fill out your applications...you may get enough scholarship money and your own student loans that good old dad wont have to help you.

He does have a point some manual labor jobs pay well...electric lineman being one of them... just stand in line behind all the other newbies... it's a growing trade.

welcome to the fire

Jeff

• yknot
    yknot
    I made deans list again and that I had been asked to join the honor society.

Sorry about you Dad ....but

alt.......on you academic excellence!

Please do not pass up the opportunity to join the honor society as it can benefit you greatly !

WE are SOOOOOOOO ...PROUD OF YOU !!!!!

• cawshun
    cawshun

raindog, congratulations on your being an honor student, nothing would make me prouder to see a child of mine with that achievment. Super Great! Hang in there, some day you will marry and have a family and how nice that you can have a career of your dreams to support them. I said it before and I'll say it again, YOUR EDUCATION IS YOUR FREEDOM !

• yknot
    yknot

Raindog......you have a thread...

http://jehovahs-witness.com/6/160245/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit